Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1

Which will take better pictures? I'm especially concerned about high contrast scenery (looking up through leaves at a bright sky) and a fast enough focus/recycle time to catch expressions on kids, etc. I also like to be able to shoot in low light situations without a flash. (Not fast moving subjects in low light, of course.)

I want to stick with Canon because I had an A80 and I loved the user interface. My husband has an Olympus that takes great photos, but by the time I'm done meandering through its menus, the shot has passed. It has a bug in the flash timing, but it's so complicated that my husband believed for months that if he just read the manual he'd figure out how to adjust it to work. With my Canon, I pretty much figured out everything I needed to know from the icons, I spent no more than an hour browsing the manual, and haven't looked at it since.

I am mostly a point&shoot type, although I like playing with the options. I can't imagine actually using RAW. 5MP is plenty. I prefer the wide angle of the S60 but I prefer the AA batteries of the A620, so I'm calling that a wash.
Thanks
PuzzleGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:49 PM   #2

Since both cameras aren't on the market yet, I don't think you'll be able to get any real answers.

Funny, I have the opposite experience - first time I picked up an Oly (7070), menus and buttons were intuitive and only needed an hour orsowith the full manual. Only glitch I got was the All Reset default. Canon took a while longer (S70), especially with button placement and use.

fwiw, I fine that Oly's iESP metering well suited for very high contrast settings compared to the S70. When I doubt, I either auto-bracket the shots or try spot metering.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

Oops, my title says S80, which isn't on the market, but I think I'm more interested in the S60, which is cheaper and should have enough MP for my needs. That was a typo and I don't think I can correct it. But you're probably right that I won't be able to get a good answer until the A610 is released, too.

Also, the reviews I've seen imply that the A series of Canons might be more intuitively laid out than the S series. That's something I'll need to look into. And perhaps Oly has improved their interface since my husband bought his camera back when 3MP digicams first became affordable. I should probably look into that, too.

Thank for your reply.
PuzzleGal is offline   Reply With Quote