Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

My mother wants a digital camera for her birthday and we're not quite sure what to get. She's a beginner photographer so we need something easy and intuitive to use.

We would prefer atleast 4X optical zoom and somewhere in the 4-5mp range.

highest priority is quick time to first shot and fairly quick shutter reaction and shot processing. if she sees something she wants to switch on the camera and snap a pic before whatever she saw is gone.

We recently went on an overseas trip with an HP 945 which was extremely frustrating. the camera is extremely slow to start up, the digital viewfinder is jerky and hard to use when in motion and it takes forever to focus and take a shot.

I'm an avid Canon fan but I like Sony too

any suggestions?
Anine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2

Sounds like a Kodak DX7440 is a perfect fit.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 8:59 AM   #3

My 7440 is three weeks old and I love it.* 4X zoom, big LCD.* Got it brand new at kodak.com for $199.Good luck!Sam
samboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4

I don't think that the DX7440 is really much faster than the HP Anine was complaining about. Coming from a professional review, the power on to 1st shot time for the 7440 is 3.2 seconds, shutter lag (pre-focus) is 0.127 seconds, and the cycle time is 1.18 seconds - note - after 6 shots, the cycle time slows to 6.6 seconds. The shut down time ranges from 3.1 to 52 seconds.

I don't know what you had planned on spending, but you might want to take a look at the Fuji F10. It has a nice large LCD (2.5"), more MP (6.3), and takes great low light shots. Speed-wise, the power on to 1st shot is 2.0 seconds, shutter lag (pre-focus) is 0.014 seconds, and the cycle time is 1.8 seconds - however it stays at that time indefinitely. Shut down time ranges from 1.2 to 7 seconds.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:09 PM   #5
Administrator

Take a look at the Best Cameras List here to get a better idea of models deemed to be a good value within a given niche.

Then, check the review Conclusion Section (the page just before the sample photos), for models you consider.

You'll find startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, cycle times between photos, and other performance related issues discussed for most models reviewed. Also, make sure to consider things like flash range and flash recycle times if shooting with a flash. Recycle times tend to increase as your range to subject increases (since the flash burst needs to be longer).

Also, keep in mind that if light is low (or your subject has low contrast) your Autofocus Speed may be much slower than the times you see (but, they're good for compariing how similar models stack up in this area).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:08 PM   #6

Perhaps you try RICOH Caplio R2. Nothing special, but it's fast and it has wide angle (28-135mm comp. 35mm). Simple for use.
bliskavica is offline   Reply With Quote