Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:30 AM   #1

heya guys, im upgrading my pentax optioS and im thinking of buying one of the sd series cameras of canon. was looking into the sd200, sd300, sd400. i really like the picture quality of this line not to mention the form factor... im just really concerned about the lcd problem that people have been posting...

my first question, is the lcd crack problem prevalent among all these three units or just the sd200 and the sd300? i dont see a lot of sd400 lcd crack issues being posted.

sd200 and sd300 users who dont have the lcd problem, what kind of protection do you use on your camera? and how long have you been using your cameras with no problem?!? wanna see if there are cases wherein people actually think this camera is durable...

all things considered, should i get an sd series canon camera? or just pass on it because of all the issues?!? i live outside the US and its important that a product work well as im sure the support in my country is worse.

appreciate any response, thanks all!

PS sorry to the moderators for the repost. i wasnt sure where to post since this was a "canon hardware" question as much as it was a "which camera to buy" question.
tjortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:35 AM   #2

If Canon honored the warranty and fixed the cameras with the LCD screens which inexplicably cracked, I might consider one. Seeing how they have left their customers hanging out to dry, there is no way I'd take a chance on being their next victim.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:16 PM   #3

I just returned a 11 mo old SD200 camera to Canon for repair of a cracked LCD; externally the camera showed no sign of damage. The camera was stored naked (no case) in a purse and nothing else in the purse was damaged. It just appeared. Canon was EXCELLENT about handling the return/repair. Called service center, the told me where to send it, never was a cost mentioned. Sent camera w/store receipt and warranty card; 7 days later had letter from Cannon stating camera received and their diagnosis was a cracked LCD (caused by pressure). The very next day I had camera delivered at my door by Fed-Ex, only 8 days after I'd sent it to them. I could not be happier with their service. Maybe they've heard and recognize a screen problem and that are now dealing with it in the professional manner the should have originally. Thank to those than went before me :-)I had a good experience. Now wanting to upgrade to the SD550!
Tcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4

Hi there

I've owned an SD300 for a year now and taken over 10 000 pics. I have taken it mountain biking and havent been especially careful with it.

I will unreservedly recommend it. The picture quality is good and the speed of operation is excellent. it really is the ideal snapshot camera. I have it with me all the time.

The only slight negative is the battery life and lack of manual control of shutter and aperture.

Otherwise it's great. In particular it's macro abilities are exceptional and it's colour rendition beautiful.

Warm regards

Drew
Ishootfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5

I second that. I have the SD300 as well and use it to record movies of my snowboarding runs. I attached it to my boot, hit record, then board away. It has taken its share of snow and falls and still works like a charm. No damage other than scratches whcih I would expect. I now use little plastic sticky sheets over the LCD to limit the scratched. Its a great little camera.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:31 PM   #6
Super Moderator

We've certainly never had any problems with our SD500.

Lovely little camera. We're only moderately careful with it, it is in a carry case that came as part of the package when we got the camera, but it gets thrown in overnight bags and handbags without any special precautions.

We even let the kids use it from time to time and have never had any fear of it breaking.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:55 PM   #7

Hey i found this site that is great on how to change a LCD for the camera

http://digitalcamerarepair.googlepages.com
dcr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8

Hey i found this site that is great on how to change a LCD for the camera

http://digitalcamerarepair.googlepages.com
dcr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote