Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1

Hi

I have a Panasonic FZ10 which has been great for its fantastic zoom and anti shake setting but I'd like to improve my photos and was thinking of the Canon as my first DSLR. I am worried about losing the two qualities of the fz10 though. I am unwell so have slightly trembly hands and the zoom was important for some of my favourite wildlife shots so can I get by with the Canon do you think?

I appreciate any of your thoughts. thank you.

Rich
Daikomyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2

Daikomyo wrote:

yes it will cost you dearly for zoom lenses with IS. I just recently bought the FZ30 and love it. I really have to get used to the work flow as with my 20D there was always lots of post processing involved. With the FZ 30 other than cleaning up the noise there is nothing to do. They look great right out of camera. You will probably be surprised that your pictures will seem not to look as good out of the camera. I find the FZ30 is as good and in some ways better than my 20D with the 17-40mm F4L lens and the 50mm 1.8. But definetly not with my 24-70mmF2.8L and the 70-200mm F2.8L IS. The FZ30 will never be able to handle the lowlight capabilities of those lenses. Of course your talking $5000 Canadian in lenses. With the Rebel I've seen great pictures (better than the FZ30) taken with the kit lens. But low light capabilities are about the same. The big advantage is the abilitie to boost your ISO to 1600 and still get way cleaner images than the FZ cameras. This is where those types of cameras just can't compete. The big disadvantage is that DSLRs are a money pit. You'll buy one and the spending never stops. Its hard to resist the temptation to buy better lenses. And just try matchng the focal range you have on your FZ.
Quote:
Hi

I have a Panasonic FZ10 which has been great for its fantastic zoom and anti shake setting but I'd like to improve my photos and was thinking of the Canon as my first DSLR. I am worried about losing the two qualities of the fz10 though. I am unwell so have slightly trembly hands and the zoom was important for some of my favourite wildlife shots so can I get by with the Canon do you think?

I appreciate any of your thoughts. thank you.

Rich
terryf1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #3

Rich,

I have FZ1, FZ5 and canon's 10D. 350XT is very nice, very little noise at higher ISO and you will love the fast AF as well as the optical viewfinder, not to mention the 3fps.

If you shoot jpeg, you don't need to spend much time in post-processing. Just crank up the in-camera saturation/sharpness. I don't do that personally as I shoot RAW only. In that case, you do need to process each file but using software like Capture One, you just batch things and let it process while you take a break. After that you can do some tweaks in PS, like you would do for any other cam.

Regarding zoom with IS, that will be expensive and heavy. I have 100-400L IS and quality of shots is way above you would get from FZ10. The IS helps in low ss shots but lens is 3.8 pounds. Here is a picture of it.

For low lights look at cheap 50mm f1.8. You will be amazed at the shots you cna get from this $80 lens. If you need more reach, 85mm f1.8 is another relatively cheaper option for amazing lens. Anything longer would set you a lot more. the 70-200 f2.8 IS goes for $1600 and 100-400 is $1300. 300mm f4 IS is approx $900.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:07 AM   #4

Thanks guys

As a relative newcomer to photography I'll try to sum up whats been said and you can tell me where I didnt understand!

Getting those zoom capabilities on a DSLR will be pricey and heavy.

The FZ30 when its noise is cleaned up is quality wise pretty close (I'll have to see how to do that on GIMP- photoshop will have to wait a while)

The Canon Rebel is great all round and SLRs in general are mush better for low light pictures.

350XT- better than EOS 350D?

BTW what does IS stand for please?

Overall then I'm not going to get equivalent zoom without much more weight and cost but what about SLRs and camera shake? Obviously for longer shots a tripod would be useful but does the fz anti shake have any equivalents in SLRs and is it really necessary. My hands do shake a bit normally.

I appreciate all of you radvice Terry and Bobby.

Cheers and take care

Rich

Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

Daikomyo wrote:
Quote:
Overall then I'm not going to get equivalent zoom without much more weight and cost but what about SLRs and camera shake? Obviously for longer shots a tripod would be useful but does the fz anti shake have any equivalents in SLRs and is it really necessary. My hands do shake a bit normally.

I was not happy with my FZ20 for bird photography in two major functions.

1) Birds come out in early morning and late afternoon where ISO 100 is not enough for good pictures. Over ISO 100 the FZ20 picture quality is not up to my expectation.

2) In photographing birds I need 400mm and 600mm lenses. FZ20 with converter make low light performances even more troublesome.

I now have a Nikon D50 with Nikkor 80-400VR which is 120mm-600mm 35mmequivalent. It cost and weight much more than FZ30 but it solved all my problems.

I can now easily shoot at birds right until sun set. Nikon VR (vibration reducer) work more than I expected. Actually I took off the tripod collar from the lens and never use it. I use hand holding exclusively and always get good pictures.

As for the dSLR I suggest you choose the lenses first. Cameras are not much different but lenses are.

Attached photo was taken with my D50plus80-400VR.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

Taking picture of this very active young Tailorbird was relatively easy with my D50/80-400VR.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:05 PM   #7

Taken with D50/80-400VR at full zoom. Pictures like thesewere not possible with my FZ20.
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:09 AM   #8

Nice photos Ruchai.

I didnt know the Nikon had anti shake as it wasnt mentioned on the reviewsI looked at- thats good to know.

I posted a gallery I found on the web on the Panasonic forum by a guy who took some impressive (to me) shots and am now wondering whether Ive actually outgrown my fz10 as his shots are on the whole better than mine. Dont know what model he has though but noise wise and picture quality the bugs, birds and animals are great.

take care

Rich
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:00 AM   #9

Daikomyo wrote:
Quote:
Nice photos Ruchai.

I didnt know the Nikon had anti shake as it wasnt mentioned on the reviewsI looked at- thats good to know.

I posted a gallery I found on the web on the Panasonic forum by a guy who took some impressive (to me) shots and am now wondering whether Ive actually outgrown my fz10 as his shots are on the whole better than mine. Dont know what model he has though but noise wise and picture quality the bugs, birds and animals are great.

take care

Rich
Nikon VR are in the lens not the camera. For the 80-400VR it works much better than the FZ20 anti vibration. My FZ20 will make impressive pictures if the light is strong enough and when I did not need a longer lens than the 430mm Leica.

This picture was taken with my FZ20 when the sun was shining. Unfortunately birds seldom come out from the bush at mid day. They usually come out in the open early in the morning and late in the evening. Early morning and lateevening lights are also help make good looking pictures. With my D50 and 80-400VR I now have much more percentage of 'keep' photos.

Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:52 PM   #10

Hi Ruchai

Thanks for that. I didnt know lenses had anti shake devices.

Take care

Rich