Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1

I am currently in the process of selecting a entry level DSLR as an upgrade from my Minolta DiMAGE Z1. My experience with the Z1 has been extremely satisfactory for my primary field of shooting subjects, that is moving racing cars. I find Z1's performance for shooting high speed moving subject to be excellent as it's Autofocus speed is fast and there is minimal shutter lag, especially compared to my Canon Powershot A20. While the 10x Optical Zoom is more than adequete for all the situation that I have encountered. But now with some extra fund at hand I'd like to buy an entry level DSLR as a step up. I am looking at the Olympus Evolt E300 now quite keenly as I have found good deals online which includes the regular kit lens anda telephoto lens as well as external hot shoe and high capacity(3GB is very high by my standard, my biggest card for Z1 is a 512MB)memory card as well as other accessory for price close to 1000 CND. However I am wondering if I will be satisfy with its performance especially shooting speed wise as I will still be shooting racing cars as my primary subject. I have read reviews about its performance being slow but I am wondering if its just a comparison to other DSLR, or its really going to be slower than my Z1(which I don't find slow at all). Also, I find the short coming of the Z1 seems to be very noisy pics in low light/indoor/artificial lighting condition, and I am also wondering will I find improvement over the Z1 in the Olympus. And if maybe the Olympus is not the right camera that I should be looking at, what other alternative will you guys suggest?

Many thanks.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2

I have the E-300 and think it's great for my purposes, but it's not the camera for everyone. If you shoot a lot using continuous exposure with high ISOs, you'll probably be more pleased with something like the Canon 350D (Kiss Digital N). It has slightly higher frame rate and better out-of-the-camera high ISO performance. the Oly will also shoot at ISO 1600, but from-the-camera jpegs will be noiser. I use NeatImage NR to remove the noise from such shots, but I don't shoot so much at high ISOs anyway. I think most people would agree the Oly kit lenses are superior to those that come with the Canon, however, so you will probably want to pick up a better zoom lens if you get the 350D. You might also look at the Nikon D50, though I don't know anything first-hand about it.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:56 AM   #3

I guess the kind of shooting I am doing will probably not be qualified as high ISO as most of the time its under broad daylight. The Z1 does up to 800 I think but I've never seen it go higher than 100 out door. What I am most concern about I think is shooting speed. What I do with the Z1 now is I set shutter to some value(~1/320 - 1/100), then I pan with the moving car with it being focus in the middle then snap at some point in its travel. Most critical I think for me is to have it shoot when I want it to after the object is focused.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote