Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:35 PM   #1

As mentioned in my other threads, I am in the market for a DSLR at the price point of ~1000 USD for a whole kit. After much reading around I think these 3 models seems to be the most suitable. Note that I have not owned any SLR before, and my primary interest is in motorsport photography thats usually in broad daylight and shooting moving object.

Looking around eBay these are what I found:

Olympus EVolt E300(USD: $1060 ):
  • Olympus EVOLT E-300 Digital SLR Camera [/*]
  • Olympus Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Digital Zoom Lens [/*]
  • Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Digital Zoom Lens [/*]
  • Olympus FL-36 Electronic Flash [/*]
  • Hitachi 3GB Microdrive™ [/*]
  • USB 2.0 High Speed CompactFlash™ Card Reader [/*]
  • Digital Image Recovery Software [/*]
  • Memory Card Storage Wallet [/*]
  • Ultimate Series SLR Camera Bag [/*]
  • Spare Rechargeable BLM-1 Li-ion Battery [/*]
  • 30 Free High Quality Prints and Enlargements [/*]
  • Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Canon Rebel XT(USD: $1210 ):

[/*][*]Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT Camera [/*][*]28-80 MM Sigma Lens [/*][*]Sigma Auto Focus Lens 70-300mm II [/*][*]Wide Angle Lens [/*][*]Filter Kit [/*][*]5 piece cleaning kit [/*][*]Tabletop Tripod [/*][*]55" Tripod [/*][*]2GB Compact Flash Memory Card [/*][*]Hi-Speed USB Card Reader/Writer [/*][*]All Aluminum Hard Case [/*][*]Deluxe Camera Case [/*][*]CNRBXT2SL272GB

Nikon D50(USD $1140 ):

[/*][*]Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera Factory Package [/*][*]Wide Angle Lens28-80 MM Nikon Lens [/*][*]70-300 MM Nikon Lens [/*][*]Filter Kit [/*][*]5 piece cleaning kit [/*][*]Tabletop Tripod [/*][*]55" Tripod [/*][*]2GB Compact Flash Memory Card [/*][*]Hi-Speed USB Card Reader/Writer [/*][*]All Aluminum Hard Case [/*][*]Deluxe Camera Case [/*][*]NKD50S2NL282G [/*][*][/*]
As of now I have very little preference to one or another, for me looking to buy a kit is to avoid in short term(2-3 years) to have to buy anything extra for the camera. The Olympus kit seems appealing as it also includes a ext. Flash, which might come in handy for going to autoshow and stuff, while the other 2 kits have tripod which I do not need. Given you guys' experience what kit might be more suited to my need?

Many thanks...

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

I am adding a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D into the comparo, the only problem with this kit compared to the others is the lack of a more powerful telephoto lens...

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D(USD: $995 )

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Camera Body
Konica Minolta Maxxum AF DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (D) Lens
Hitachi 4GB Microdrive™
USB 2.0 High Speed CompactFlash™ Card Reader
Digital Image Recovery Software
Memory Card Storage Wallet
NP-400 High Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
Ultimate Series SLR Camera Bag
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
30 Free High Quality Prints and Enlargements

I decided to add this as I have good experience with my current Minolta Z1 and since it is also in the price range.

One thing I don't know is how would all the different ccd system and what not translate to when combined with the lens gives you in terms of zooming capability in layman's term. My Z1 says its 10x optical zoom, how would the focal length of the lens translate to that?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:19 PM   #3

You should consider the Pentax 1stDS as well because the Sigma 70-300mm lens is also available for the Pentax. You would save some bucks.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:26 PM   #4

Quote:
One thing I don't know is how would all the different ccd system and what not translate to when combined with the lens gives you in terms of zooming capability in layman's term. My Z1 says its 10x optical zoom, how would the focal length of the lens translate to that?
Ignore the '"x" designations. They are marketing terms that mean very little. What is really important is the true focal length. An 18-55 is about 3x, as is a 70-210. Clearly these are different lenses. The x factor is simply the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length.

Any of the kits you mention would probably be ok, especially since you've had good results with your previous camera. Looking at the Canon and the nikon, you have selected film lenses as opposed to ones designed for DSLR's. This is fine as long as you take the crop factor into account. The 28-80 lenses have an equivalent focal length of about 42-120 (the canon's crop factor is 1.6 and nikon's is 1.52). 42mm is not very wide. If you don't typically shoot at wide focal lengths, this will not matter.

I would probably recommend either the Canon or Nikon based on the availability of lenses and a great track record of making great cameras. Both have an on-board flash which should provide enough flash for you carshow shooting. Even though I'm a Nikon shooter (don't read any further Nikonians) the Canon would probably be your best bet. Most pro sports and action shooters shoot Canon (check out all those white lenses at sporting events) while journalists and potrait photographers tend to favor Nikon.

Either way make sure you do your homework and learn the ins and outs of your camera. A dslr is not as easy to use as a P&S.

Good Luck
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:48 PM   #5

I was also looking at the EVOLT camera, but the factor that took me apart from that idea was the cost of extra lenses; and that there are very few available. With a Canon / Pentax or Nikon, you will find newer and older lenses all around, giving you more possibilities. In my opinion a dSLR is only worth it if you have at least 3 lenses; two zoom lenses and one fixed one with a good apperture.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:02 PM   #6
Administrator

Is there a reason you're looking at the microdrive with the 5D option?

Chances are, you'll get much better throughput to media with a fast CompactFlash card like an Extreme III.

Here are some tests from Maxxum 7D users here:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=7D

Hopefully, we'll some some updates from 5D users soon, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:43 PM   #7

I think the 1gb CF card is the best deal at the moment.

Yer paying too much for the 2gb cards.

Buy a 1gb card now, and then buy a bigger one when they get cheap in a year or two.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:19 PM   #8

I just picked up the KM D5. I too was looking at all the same cameras. I ruled out the Canon because it felt soooo cheap and was way to smal for my hands. The Evolt gets real pricey when you want a wide angle lens! Plus the higher ISO shots got real noisy. (If you shoot in the low ISO area, take a look at the Panasonic FZ30. Great lens and you can save some cash!) The Pentax for some reason never really made it into my radar...not sure why...maybe because a friend of mine has one and thinks it is just "OK" The Nikon is nice...felt good too.... but then there is the KM 5D. Felt REALLY good in the hand (solid like NiKon D70/D50) and has AS!!! Now every lens that I have is "Anti Shake"! The next real positive is how easy the camera is to use. I am a total newbie! I read the owners manual once and do not need to carry it with me! I can figure out anything on it just by using logic! Lastly is picture quality! I do not know what it is...but the pictures just look really great out of this cam...even JPEG. Bottom line is they are all "good"...it is what is better for "you" is what will make your mind up.

Good luck and let us know...

My 2cents of course...

Brian

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian
Cleanmaxx Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:05 PM   #9

That's nice to know, coming from a P&S Minolta I was leaning towards the brand and from what I read in several places it seems to be a good camera for what I need too, fast autofocus speed, the color in the sample pics looks good.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:16 AM   #10

I don't think the picture quality of the minolta compares to the Canon from the samples I've seen.

Long term, take a look at the lens system you want to invest in.

Minolta doesn't put out many cameras or lenses for that matter.

If you invest in a Canon, you'll have lots of choices to upgrade to in the future, and hopefully you'll be able to bring your lenses with you.

The minolta is a very narrow path to the future.

I have a minolta film camera and lenses which I really liked, but unfortunately they did me no good when I traded up to a Canon 20D.

My next purchase will likely be a 12meg or 16meg Canon in a few years time. Hopefully I will be able to leverage my Canon lense purchases.

Not that I'm totally dissuading you from a minolta purchase as I like the company and the 5D is a good camera.

But if absolute picture quality and future upgrades are a concern, it's pretty hard to resist a Canon. No small reason whyCanon dominates the DSLR market.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote