Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:59 AM   #1

Hey everyone. I have been a point and shoot camera ethusiast for years. Recently I started playing with the features on a Canon S50 and Iread a lot of materials on photography.I am completely amazed by thepictures an advanced camera can take in proper hands.Now I'm really considering buying a dSLR and take weekend photography classes.

Basically Evolt E300 is a about $601 (from dell) with two lens kit. And D50 is $645 (from etronics)with one standard lens. I'm really trying to decide between the two. Over all it seems like Olympus is cheaper, and has extra zoom lens, it also has more features (including the dust remover) compared to Nikon. I don't really care about low light pictures. So initially I'm really leaning toward the Olympus.

However, one thing that really bothers me is all the D50 sample pictures from steves's review are superbly sharp and clear. The Olympus, despite the higher resolution, is much more fuzzy. I have comapred every possible pictures taken by steve and it seems D50 always look better by comparison,even with the pictures taken by Olympus with increased sharpness. I tried to photoshop the Olympus pictures to see if I can reproduce the same result as the Nikon, after some tries I decide the details are just not there to start with... Am I doing something wrong here?

Anyways, I really want to get Olympussince it seems to be abetter deal. But if Nikon just takes much better pictures, I'd rather have a Nikon.

leon3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

The olympus has problems with more noise than other dslr´s at higher iso´s. Thats enough for me to go for less noisy dslr.

themite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:03 AM   #3

leon3536 wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus, despite the higher resolution, is much more fuzzy. I have comapred every possible pictures taken by steve and it seems D50 always look better by comparison,even with the pictures taken by Olympus with increased sharpness.
Why rely only on Steve's examples? If you want good pictures from the E-300, check out some of the galleries on My Four Thirds , or Lauri Sippu's website, or Four Thirds Photo , or the galleries of some of the people who hang out on the DPReview site in the Oly dSLR forum.
There's no innate fuzziness in the Oly shots, believe me.

As for high ISO performance, yes, Canon has that bag sewn up right now, but you also get the result of Canon's onboard NR processing, which may or may not be your cup of tea. With the E-300, I use either NeatImage (for straight JPEGS) or the NR feature in Silkypix (for RAW) to clean up high-ISO noise without having to accept the manufacturer's idea of what noise should or shouldn't be there. Here are a few of mine:

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:37 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing the excellent pictures and information. I think I pretty much made up my mind that I will go with Evolt E300. Even if Nikon is innately sharper, it's only because the sensor skipped the low pass fitler.As a result there is noticable noise in the shades on all Nikon pictures. As someone who likes scenery shots, I would hate to go into detailed post processing for every picture I take.

I also went to store to play with the cameras and I really like the size and feel of E300. For the price of $601. You can't really beat the value and quality ofthe E300 kit.

leon3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:37 AM   #5

leon3536 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the excellent pictures and information. I think I pretty much made up my mind that I will go with Evolt E300. Even if Nikon is innately sharper, it's only because the sensor skipped the low pass fitler.As a result there is noticable noise in the shades on all Nikon pictures. As someone who likes scenery shots, I would hate to go into detailed post processing for every picture I take.

I also went to store to play with the cameras and I really like the size and feel of E300. For the price of $601. You can't really beat the value and quality ofthe E300 kit.
I think you'll be pleased. It's not perfect, but no camera is. And remember there's a learning curve with any camera like this, so you should take some time studying how to use it best. The two-lens kit is a real bargain, if you haven't already gone for the one-lens kit. Also, be sure to update the firmware (currently, v.1.3) as soon as you get the camera; that corrects several problems with auto WB and ESP exposure mode that some people noticed in the early models. And I strongly recommend that you visit some of the sites I mentioned earlier, to get advice from other Oly users. BTW, the url I gave for the Four Thirds Photo site has a mistake; the correct one is http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com; and the Digital Photography Review forum for Oly dSLRs is at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022.

Best wishes.

Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:15 PM   #6

Norm-

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my E-300 two lens kit. Bottomline, I love Olympus cameras, and after falling in love with the C-8080, I feel that the E-300 is a naturalfollow-on from the C-8080.

So you may soon find me asking newbie type questions.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:10 PM   #7

Hi, Sarah! Hope it works out for you. There are lots more users over at DPReview's Oly dSLR forum if you need more help than I can provide.