Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:20 AM   #1

I have a Nikon Coolpix 885. Takes great pics, except for places like Country Bear Jamboree in WDW (a spotlit area, but I get an allover red tint).

So, I want a 5mp, small camera. I take Soccer pics of my kids, lots of pics at WDW, indoors pics at home, school events. I need something that is fast, and takes decent pics in low light without flash

I'm looking at the Casio S500, or the Fuji F10, or the Nikon Z1.

I've read up on lots of cameras, and really don't know which way to go.

thanks for the help

lesia

lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:42 AM   #2
Administrator

Out of the models you're looking at, the only one that is probably going to be able to take "decent pictures in low light without a flash" is the Fuji Finepix F10, unless you have a non-stationary subject and are using a tripod.

Otherwise, you're going to get motion blur from camera shake or subject movement (because shutter speeds will be too slow).

Even the little Fuji isn't going to stop action indoors in many lighting conditions. You'll need to shoot when your subjects are relatively still to increase you percentage of keepers in some conditions, and will need to use your feet for zoom in a lot of indoor conditions.

With the Fuji F10 (which can shoot at higher ISO speeds compared to the other models you're looking at), you probably won't be able to use much zoom in many lighting conditions without a flash (since the lens on most subcompact models is more than twice as bright as their wide angle lens position, including the lens on this Fuji).

If you're only concerned about the red cast, that's a different issue that is going to prevent you from getting decent pictures in low light (the primary problem will be blur with most models in low light).

The cast is being caused by color temperature differences in the lighting. Change your white balance settings to match the lighting to reduce color casts. Most models allow you to change white balance settings, including your Nikon. Some models also have the way to match white balance exactly for the lighting (based on the ability to read and store the correct color temperature if you use a white card in the same lighting). Look for models having a custom white balance feature that allow you to set White Balance in this manner.

A DSLR model with a bright lens is the best choice for shooting in low light without a flash. Even using a model like the F10 with higher ISO speeds compared to most, you may not be able to get shutter speeds up fast enough to prevent motion blur in some lighting.

So, in those cases, a DSLR model, using an even brighter lens (primes with f/2 or brighter apertures are popular at closer ranges, and lenses with constant f/2.8 apertures are popular for further ranges) may be needed to increase your percentage of keepers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. I purchased my camera in 2001, I don't know if it even has the white balance settings I can change. I don't remember seeing that in the menus.

Most of the low light stuff is stationary.

Which of the subcompact models have the easiest-to-change white balance?

And I'm not totally set on either of the models I listed, if there is a better one out there.

lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:58 AM   #4
Administrator

lesia wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I purchased my camera in 2001, I don't know if it even has the white balance settings I can change. I don't remember seeing that in the menus.

Most of the low light stuff is stationary.

Which of the subcompact models have the easiest-to-change white balance?
The White Balance Settings for your Coolpix 885 can be found at the first menu choice, of the first page of your shooting menu. They probably put it there since this is something many users would change often.

You'll see the choices mentioned in your model's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...on885_pg3.html

Your model can also use a preset white balance (by taking a reading from a white card in the lighting you're shooting in), and also has a white balance bracketing feature (taking the photos using more than one white balance setting to increase the probability of correct colors in difficult lighting).

To get a better idea of how models you're considering work from a control layout and menu perspective, take a look at the reviews here. Make sure to see the review conclusion sections for each model you consider, too (where you'll find comments on how it performs).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:21 AM   #5

All digital compact cameras from Canon seem to be good.

I have a Canon Powershot S30 and I can recommend the Powershot SXX Series. Superb build and pic quality.

I think it's the same for the Ixus. I know many people with Ixus who like their cameras.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote