Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:31 AM   #1

On the weekend I went to the circus with my children and brought along my friend's Nikon CP7900. The show was in a low-lit tent and I was about 30 feet from center ring. When snapping pics of the different shows at centre ring, I couldn't get a decent shot. All pics were either too dark or blurry and the digicam was very slow in responding. I tried different settings and nothing worked. Outdoor and indoor closeups were fine.

I was very disappointed with the CP7900 and wanted your suggestion for a top-quality point-n-shoot digicam that will work flawlessly in indoor low-lighting. This was a once in a lifetime occasion for my children and me but unfortunately I don't have any good pics to show for it.

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:22 AM   #2

The rumor is Fuji Z1 is one of the best at low light shooting

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

However, the color is really dull from this camera and the LCD, although big, is low quality. The ergonomics is not the best.
leon3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:01 AM   #3

How about FuziFilm F10?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4

Kodak DX7440/DX7630, or new replacements, Z730/Z760,,, I have the former, good all around, as well as good, & fast, low light focusing, & shooting,I love them, haven't found any cons with them yet!,,, For more Zoom, I have the Fugi S5100, also Good in low light focusing & shooting!,,, My wife puts the Kodak in her pocketbook, and we can eithereasily carry the S5100, The Best of Both Worlds!
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:36 PM   #5

The ability to handle (produce good photos) in a low light level environment is dependent mostly on the highest ISO usable by your digital camera. Therefore, the Fuji F-10, which has previously been suggested, and is capable of ISO settings up to ISO 1600 will handle the low light environment much better than a digital camera such as a Nikon 7900, which is only capable of a maximum of ISO 400.

Here is a handheld shot taken without flash inside with the Fuji F-10 set to 1600 to give you an idea opf what an increased ISO setting can do for your photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:24 PM   #6

One more thing that helps on low light conditions are stabilized lenses, so you can use lower shutter speeds without getting blurry results. Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix series, Powershot S1/S2 IS series, and Sony has also some models, I think it is H1. The reviews for these cameras on the site are great and quite helpful.

I will get my Canon S2 on these days, maybe I can take some shots and post them to show results.

For best results, I would definitively consider a dSLR, they support higher ISO settings and have a bigger sensor which results in less noise for this kind of pictures.
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:30 PM   #7

Another alternative to consider are the soon to be released Fuji S-5200 and S-9000 which will also be high ISO capable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:57 PM   #8

Quote:
One more thing that helps on low light conditions are stabilized lenses, so you can use lower shutter speeds without getting blurry results.

A stabilized lens will help prevent blur from camera shake at low shutter speeds, but will not help with blur from subject motion. With moving subjects (such as what you might find at the circus,as the original poster mentioned) slower shutter speeds will result in more motion blur. Stabilization is great for long focal lengths and static subjects in low light, but will not assist in freezing motion.

Also be aware that high ISO's will produce alot of grain in P&S digicams. These photos will require the use of a noise reduction program such as neat image to produce usable results. DSLR's are the best option for low light photography because of the larger sensor that produces better high ISO results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:55 AM   #9

I surely do agree with rjseeney! I do a lot of theater and concert photography and I went to dSLR cameras because of the larger imager which not only is capable of much higher ISO settings, but also produces much less noise.

Take a look at the attached photo which was taken handheld and without flash, by using ISO 3200. No point and shoot digital camera could have captured that photo. I know because I have used most of the P&S cameras including the highly praised Panasonic FZ series.

Sarah Weber
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:00 PM   #10

did you recently get married, Sarah?

i couldn't help but notice the change in your last name. :-)
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote