Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:03 PM   #1

II am looking for a Point and Shoot which can be easily carried in a pocket or handbag. I think I want an optical viewfinder but am open to suggestions. I like the Casio Best Shot modes. I want to be able to take a shot of a sunset and still recognize people in the photo. Being able to take some video would also be a plus. I know the Fuji has ISO 1600 so should do the best in low light, but really liked the Casio user interface. Would the Casio do the trick for relatively low light shots with not much motion? (without a tripod).
sdubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

I´d rather go with the s500 then the z750 because of z750 movie whine possible not bios fix, and less image stabilisation, and unreliable optics from statistics (possible death from usage syndrome)

Just get the slimmer easier to carry around in your pocket ready to pull out as a slimcard for some great action shots when it matters, more than fiddeling with settings trying to grab something special than just grabbing the moment, and letting the result tell if its special.
Oh and u look so much more sleek with the s500

Oh and did i forget to say, f*** the fuji cheaters, they acomplich their higher iso by doubling thespecified pixel count compared to what the factual pixels are, i am refering to the Fuji FinePix F10 wich has a facual pixelcount of 12MP sensor and uses 6MP specified to acomplish its higher iso sensitivety, thus using2x photosites per pixel and from my way of viewing it its a cheat.
themite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:24 PM   #3

themite said:

Quote:
Oh and did i forget to say, f*** the fuji cheaters, they acomplich their higher iso by doubling thespecified pixel count compared to what the factual pixels are, i am refering to the Fuji FinePix F10 wich has a facual pixelcount of 12MP sensor and uses 6MP specified to acomplish its higher iso sensitivety, thus using2x photosites per pixel and from my way of viewing it its a cheat.

Actually the F10 does NOT do this. You're probably thinking of the E550.

Both have what Fuji calls its Super CCD HR sensor. Both cameras have an effectiveresolution of 6.3 megapixels. But the way I understand it, the E550 uses interpolation to create 12 megapixel images. Its 6 MP images are created by downsizing the 12MP images to the 6 MP resolution. If you shoot at the 6 MP resolution, the camera uses rather agressive JPEG compression and the image quality isn't as good as if you shot at 12 MP and then downsized it yourself in image editing software. Bottom line is, its 12MP images aren't "true" 12 MP images.

The F10, on the other hand, only captures images at 6 MP. There is no interpolation to 12 MP. There also seems to be a lot less compression in the F10's JPEG images and it's one of the reasons that the image quality is generally better in the F10 compared to the E550, in my opinion. Also, the F10 is unique among compact digicams in its ability to create high ISO images (i.e. 400 and above) with relatively little noise. It really is a great little camera. I believe that it is the best of the three cameras mentioned above for low light shooting, hands down. I've been very pleased with mine.

My Fujifilm FinePix F10 gallery
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:16 PM   #4

sdubois-

Is this the kind of photo that you were referring to in your original post? If it is, this photo was done using exposure compensation and a fill-in flash. That is the best way to do it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5

sjseto,
I guess we are both right and wrong in a way

Below is taken from http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ix_f10-review/

"As I said at the beginning of the review, this is the first SuperCCD HR-based camera (along with the FinePix Z1) that doesn't give you the interpolated 12MP mode like previous models. The camera still takes the 6.3 Megapixels worth of data and interpolates it up to 12MP (it has to due to the design of the sensor), but then it brings it back down to 6.3MP again. This is, in my opinion, a good thing"

themite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:13 AM   #6

themite wrote:
Quote:
sjseto,
I guess we are both right and wrong in a way
Okay, I'll agree with that assessment Whatever it does, the F10 sure can take good pictures.
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote