Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:09 PM   #1

After using my terrible FinepixA210 and wanting to smash it on the street, my quest for a new camera is upon me. My ONLY criteria when using a digital camera is this:

Which one takes the pics the fastest? Meaning which one has the least delay from the time I push the button to the time the picture is taken. I am not interested in anything else except speed of the camera in this action. The fuji takes at least 3 seconds to take a pic from the time I push the button to the time it reacts, and at least 10 seconds between images. This is a lifetime in my real world of trying to take a pic of my son riding his bike.

Anyway, which would actually push and click without deciding whether it should or not?

Thanks

Bob
zekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

It would seem that the only type of digital camera which would take an instant pic would be one which is a fixed focus camera, it has no focusing ability and islimited in its range to a very specific distance from the camera. If that's what you want just search for good"fixed focus"cameras.They may be instant but very limited.Any camera with a focus feature has to take some time to focus, some faster than others, but still some time. I'm not an expert, but that's my opinion.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:52 PM   #3

Bob,

If you want really fast performance try the Canon Rebel XT or the Canon 20D.

With my 20D, I take sports pictures so fast I can't believe it.

There's more lag between my brain and my finger than any lag this camera has.

As soon as the camera is turned on it's ready to take pictures.

All this performance comes at a cost. The Rebel XT starts at about $850 and the 20D at over $1100.

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:27 PM   #4

The Sony DSC-P200 is much cheaper than any DSLR and has a pretty short shutter lag. Not as short as the Canon E-20, but much faster than your old camera.

The Fuji E550 is also pretty fast, better in daylight than in low light.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:05 AM   #5

It isn't a focus issue with this camera. It's a software and processing issue. I'm trying to keep the cost atabout $500 as well. I like the larger screen on the Canon SD450. Has anyone used this one?

Also, is going for a larger pixel count worth it for most family point and shoots? I noticed the model S80 on the canon site having 8m pixels. Or will the larger pixel count take longer to record and annoy me? Again, not a focus issue, but a processing issue. I know it needs to focus.

Thanks again!

Bob
zekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:12 AM   #6

My Minolta DiMAGE Z1 takes pic almost instantly, which is useful when you are shooting race cars and stuff. I've compared it to my Canon A20(old), and my friend's Fuji S6000 and it's way quicker than either. I'd imagine the newer DiMAGE Z# should be the same, plus more feature like anti-shake and whatnot.

RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:53 AM   #7

I have found it's more a generation than a manufacturer thing.

All compact digicams >2 or 3years oldare outpaced by all similar digicams today.

There are differences between manufacturers and models obviously.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:01 AM   #8

I was just checking Steve's review on the Minolta Z's, the Z1 is 1/10 sec delay for pre-focus shots, 5/10 for autofocus(feels a heck of alot faster though). The newer ones are all 1/10 for pre-focus, and 2/10 for AF shots.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:15 PM   #9

Why not consider ultra-zoom stabilized cameras? The Panasonic, Canon and Sony versions are quite capable and have really decent processing times. It seems to me that the fastest processing is done by the panasonic, but I'm not sure as I haven't compared them myself, it's only from reading reviews on this site.

However, any decent camera will satisfy your needs, if you need faster saving time of the pictures, use less resolution and fast memory cards. I've used a few digicams so far and only the first, older models have given me this kind of trouble, all newer models have respectable performance, depending on what you want to do.

One more thing, if you're taking pictures of your son riding the bike, check for cameras with good focus tracking, so you can "prefocus" and follow the subject and take the picture in the exact moment you want it.

Regards
Martin
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:55 PM   #10

i think i read that fujifilm's F10 has like a .008 shutter lag once the camera is focused.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote