Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:02 AM   #1

Have an ability to buy Rekam compact-camera with great discount. Is it OK or should I pay more and buy, for example Canon, Nikon and so on?
Vitalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2

Vitalik wrote:
Quote:
Have an ability to buy Rekam compact-camera with great discount. Is it OK or should I pay more and buy, for example Canon, Nikon and so on?
I don't know anything about Rekam, but in general, YES, go with a name brand and be sure of getting something that at least has an address you can complain to!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

Looking at the Rekam site, these cameras seem similar to the Mustek models. These were great when famous-branded digicams were quite expensive. But today, you can get yourself a simple Kodak or Panasonic camera for a similar price.

I used a Mustek camera for a while, and it is OK, however they hardly focus, the sensor quality is questionable, processing speed is slow, etc. However they were a good bang for the buck one or two years ago. Today I would definitively preffer a cheap digicam (there are Kodak and HP 3-4MPX cameras available for around 70USD), they will really get you better results.

Now if you want to take really good pictures, you shouldn't spend less than 300 USD for a better camera where you can control more things.

For instance, I used a HP 812 camera, and it took great pictures, but only with good lighting conditions. This frustrated me because the camera made all kind of calculations to get the appropiate shutter speed, but you couldn't control it. On lower light conditions without a flash, this is rather frustrating and you will wish you had bought a better camera.
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote