Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:06 AM   #11

So far the cameras you have considered or which have been suggested are larger than compact size. If you intend to use your camera for everything you may want to consider the Panasonic FZ5 as an alternative to the other ultrazooms listed. Between the FZ5 and FZ20, the FZ5 image quality is just as good and battery life is superb too. Both have image stabilization.The FZ5 is also highly compact for a 12x UZ, the most compact I think for sale right now. You cannot pocket it, but it is compact enough to carry around without much of a hassle. It is also rather inexpensive right now at www.6ave.com:

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=DMCFZ5BK(Black = $347.00)

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=DMCFZ5S (Silver = $356.00)

Add only .06 shipping! You could save money and use it for accessories, or toward another camera.

I bought the FZ5 in silver from 6ave.com and the camera arrived as ordered within three days and I just love it.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:38 AM   #12

If you're not in a huge hurry for a camera, I would wait until reviews of the Fuji S5200 are out and see how that camera does. It doesn't have image stabilization, but the higher ISOsettings may make up for that and then some. I have the S5100 and am extremely satisfied with it. I'm patiently waiting to see how the new model does because the higher ISO 1600 feature is very appealing to me. I like natural light shots and try to use flash minimally.

The S5100 is my second digicam, and I would definately recommend and big zoom camera as this really adds to the fun factor. Previously I had a Sony Mavica CD500 which was only 3x zoom and I rarely used it even though it was a teriffic camera. Now I have a hard tome putting this camera down because it's so enjoyable to use, and it only cost me half what the Sony did two years ago. Compared to the competition they say the macro mode isn't spectacular, but I've managed some very good closeups with it.

The S5200 should street price for about $400, which will leave you plenty of $$ for a nice size memory card and any other goodies you may want.
Attached Images

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:42 AM   #13

I think I'm most likely going to go for the FZ-20. Looks like there are a few reputable online dealers that have it for a fairly good price, which will still leave me with some funds to purchase a larger memory card for it..

I can always convince the wife later on to get myself a bag, flash or other accessories for it..

So far the candidates are:

1. Panasonic FZ-20

2. Something from Olympus.. C-7000 or the 7070 WZ

3. Fuji S7000

4. Fuji S5100

6. Fuji S5200 (Not on shelves yet)

7. Olympus SP-350 (Not on shelves yet)

The last two are not currently available as of yet.. I'm looking to buy within this upcoming week. If I wait any longer, my wife will want to find something else to do with the funds I have accumulated :?
JLBENEDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:51 PM   #14

gripper51-

That is a great digital photo. I love it!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:55 PM   #15

JLBenedict-

The Panasonic FZ-30 is a good choice as long as you keep the ISO below 200 and don't do any existing light shots. I own a FZ-20. It fine in daylight, but far too noisy and grainy at ISO 400 under exing light.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:56 PM   #16

I just saw a typo in my post. My comments apply to the entire Panasonic FZ line of digital cameras. Sorry!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:26 PM   #17

"Ability to easily accomodate for an addon macro lense"

The macro function is built into the FZ20, as well as the other cameras you are considering. You don't have to buy an add-on lens. You can buy an adapter that allows the use of add-on wide angle or telephoto converter lenses. The only feature my FZ10 doesn't have that I would really like is a swiveling LCD screen. I probably would have upgraded to the FZ20 if it had one. As it is, I'm waiting for the FZ30 to drop another $100 to the $500 level. Amazon has the FZ20 for $450. If you sign up for the Amazon credit card, you can take $30 off that; and a subscription to "Wired" will get you a $5 coupon for a final total of $415 with free shipping.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:52 PM   #18

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"Ability to easily accomodate for an addon macro lense"

The macro function is built into the FZ20, as well as the other cameras you are considering. You don't have to buy an add-on lens. You can buy an adapter that allows the use of add-on wide angle or telephoto converter lenses. The only feature my FZ10 doesn't have that I would really like is a swiveling LCD screen. I probably would have upgraded to the FZ20 if it had one. As it is, I'm waiting for the FZ30 to drop another $100 to the $500 level. Amazon has the FZ20 for $450. If you sign up for the Amazon credit card, you can take $30 off that; and a subscription to "Wired" will get you a $5 coupon for a final total of $415 with free shipping.
Quote:
Sorry that I over emphasized that..
Quote:
I was only concerned because from browsing around a few discussion boards, I ran across a few users modifying adapters to fit their cameras, and it was initially a concern.. until I researched some more..
Quote:
I realize now I can find numerous 62mm adapters for the FZ20, that way it will accomodate the least expensive filters & lens's
JLBENEDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:11 PM   #19

I have telephoto and wide angle converters for my FZ10 but find that I seldom use them. If you decide you want add-on converters, invest in good ones. Lenses such as Crystal Optics and Titanium are cheap, but they're pure crap.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:33 PM   #20

olympus c-8080.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote