Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:52 PM   #1

This is my budget, not a cent more. Based on reviews, I have the Panasonic FZ20 and the Fuji S7000 added to my "potential" list. Still open for other possibilities...

I'm not afraid of manual control's, and diving into learning about the features of a more advanced camera,even though I'll be coming up from a Canon A20...
I purchased this when this camera first came out, so I'm not one to buy a camera every year or two..

Macro photography definately would peak my interests; I'll probably shoot more outdoors than indoors on a ratio of 60/40 percentage-wise if not more...

Greatly appreciate the guidance..

JLBENEDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

JLBenedict-

It sounds like you have your sights set on a zoom or ultra zoom camera. How much zoom do you really want because the FZ-30 and the S-7000 has decidedly different zoom capabilities.

Will 5X optical zoom be sufficient? Or, is it 6X optical zoom or more? If it is 5X, you choose a different camera and save money for camera accessories, a flash and perhaps a new camera bag.

Please give us a little more information, won't you, please.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:39 PM   #3

What am I missing, if I opt for less than 6X zoom?

Sorry if that is such a dumb or newbie question..

I assume that with more optical zoom, the closer I can bring my subject into my frame ?

Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:37 PM   #4

Take a look at the Olympus SP-350, an 8 meg camera available at JR.com for $399.

Very tasty camera, you will be the envy of your friends and professionals alike!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:55 PM   #5

With an ultra zoomdigital camera that does not have Image Stabilization, the use of long zoom positions requires greater and greater shutter speeds to prevent image blurring due to camera movement.

The ultra zoom discussed so far are all good choices but they do not excel in low level lighting conditions. If you are mostly a day time / day light shooter you will not encounter any problems.

If you can deal with 5X optical zoom, 7mp and full manual controls, the you can save some money with the Olympus C-7000 selling for less than $300.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:11 PM   #6

If you liked the A20 (I thought highly of the one I owned.), the Canon S2IS will keep you smiling for years. By the way, this recommendation comes from a satisfied Panasonic FZ10 owner. Reading Steve's review, I see that Canoga Camera, a trusted seller, has the S2IS for around $470 including shipping.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:04 AM   #7

I too am looking for much the same thing and am strongly leaning towards the FZ20 out of all the candidates I've tried so far. I'm interested to know which one you will choose and why?

-CK
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:40 AM   #8

I had mixed feelings toward the A20. At this time I'm leaning toward something other than the Canon brand..

Budget just increased to $540 total.. should be able to do something with this..

Ok.. sorry I was so brief earlier.. but I'll provide some more details..

Would like something with Image Stabilization
Movie/MPEG capture mode is least important..
In the 4-5 MP range..
At least 5X optical soom..
Ability to easily accomodate for an addon macro lense
Ability to take vibriant, crisp photos so I have the ability to print out photos up to 8x10
And.. something with more advanced features that allow more fine tuning than my A20 offerred..

This camera will be used for all purposes..
I have a son soon to be born... so being able to take decent quality portraits of him and my family to print out is of great importance..
taking action photos of the nephew out riding his dirtbike , capturing my two dogs thrill of an afternoon in the back yard are some of the tasks I face with my future purchase..
I like outdoor'sy stuff... such as take a quick hop up to Gettysburg, or other scenic sites... sunsets, landscapes, towering trees, and colorful, vibriant flowers are some things that always catch my eyes, and I'd love to be able to capture them at the best quality possible....

Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:05 AM   #9

JLBenedict-

The Fuji S-5200 will come on to the camera store shelves in the next month or so, perhaps you should take a look at that camera. It will be a full 5mp with 10X optical zoom, a low light level focusing lamp, and it will be capable of ISO's up to 1600.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:39 AM   #10

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
JLBenedict-

The Fuji S-5200 will come on to the camera store shelves in the next month or so, perhaps you should take a look at that camera. It will be a full 5mp with 10X optical zoom, a low light level focusing lamp, and it will be capable of ISO's up to 1600.

Sarah Joyce

I haven noticed that one as well.

Also research as show me the Kodak P850 as well..

It seems to boil down to which camera do I truely want.. they all have their positive's and they are all going to have their negative's..

Its much tougher than researching, say, parts for a new computer system build..

thanks for all the suggestions and comments :-)