Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:34 PM   #11

Phillies wrote:
Quote:
Here's one of my photo albums from my trip to Colorado. I'm going to be going to San Diego next weekend which is what prompted my question here on this board.

http://community.webshots.com/album/333446775iPEfWs

Enjoy!
Well... a new camera would produce a better quality image. You'd have to resize for the web as usual, but the result would be better.

You could get better color, and sharpness. Also most new cameras do better action shots, meaning: Instead of 1 shot of the pitcher throwing. You'd get the windup, and the release... 3-5 shots depending on camera and settings.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:42 PM   #12

Before visiting this board or reading any review here, I did like the new Nikon 7 megapixel camera. I wouldn't pay the retail price for it but every week or so there seems to be at least one place selling it for a discount. I think I saw it for sale at Amazon.com for around $330 or so. I'm willing to pay that price if I can get a improvement in my pictures. Or would it just be better to get maybe a 4 or 5 megapixel camera? I'm no camera expert and I doubt I could even tell a difference between a 4-5 megapixel and a 7 megapixel......
Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:54 PM   #13

Phillies wrote:
Quote:
Before visiting this board or reading any review here, I did like the new Nikon 7 megapixel camera. I wouldn't pay the retail price for it but every week or so there seems to be at least one place selling it for a discount. I think I saw it for sale at Amazon.com for around $330 or so. I'm willing to pay that price if I can get a improvement in my pictures. Or would it just be better to get maybe a 4 or 5 megapixel camera? I'm no camera expert and I doubt I could even tell a difference between a 4-5 megapixel and a 7 megapixel......
For you sir,7 MP's would be overkill.

I think 4MP's is enough for what you want to do with it. After seeing your shots and hearing you tell us what you like to do. I can recommend the Panasonic DMC-FZ4 4MP's 12X Image stabalized zoom lens, takes SD memory (which the Kodak uses)

Here's a sample http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/P1000135.JPG

BEWARE - It's a full resolution image. Meaning, this is the best size and quality shot the camera can take.

I have a buddy with the 5MP version of this camera and he loves it... you'll be zooming up to Birds, and Girls, and Mooses... and more girls. LOL... You'll love it.

Here's the cheapest price I could find from a highly reputable dealer. I've dealt with them before and their Resellerrating is good.

BUYDIG.COM - http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....;sku=PNDMCFZ4S

303.00 before shipping (shipping choices are at your descresion)

What do you think? Here's the review from Steves of our very own Steves Digicams.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz4.html

Enjoy mate... let me know if this doesn't fit the bill. Not everyone wants a HUGE big camera. This one will never fit in a pocket. It'll need it's own bag... but it opens up a world of possibilities.

Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. That dealer is located only two towns from me. However, I think that camera might be a little too big. Any recomendations for a camera that would be about the same size as my Kodak?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:48 PM   #15

Phillies wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. That dealer is located only two towns from me. However, I think that camera might be a little too big. Any recomendations for a camera that would be about the same size as my Kodak?
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...0_a520-review/

The Canon A520, 4MP 4X optical Zoom digital camera. =o)

Excellent camera @ an Excellent price.

191.00 at Buydig.com

Then you could buy a bigger SD card for the camera, meaning more photos.

This camera has auto modes, scene modes, and manual controls if you ever want to learn them and use them for real photography.

-It's an excellent camera with good quality photos.

-tlmiller10
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:57 PM   #16

That Canon does look nice, but so does that Olympus C-5500 that somebody mentioned in this thread. They are both very close in price, but the Olympus does use 4 batteries instead of 2 like the Canon......
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:35 PM   #17

Phillies wrote:
Quote:
That Canon does look nice, but so does that Olympus C-5500 that somebody mentioned in this thread. They are both very close in price, but the Olympus does use 4 batteries instead of 2 like the Canon......
Ya know what... The Olympus is the better deal and better camera.

Better noise control at IS0 400, and has better MP's 5 vs 4, and better zoom 5X vs 4X.

I also recommend the Olympus. Don't worry about batteries, just get some nickel metal hydryde rechargeables, and a car/home charging kit. They're like 15.98 at Wal-Mart...

Git er done!

-tlmiller10
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:18 PM   #18

And for those that were wondering, my current camera is the Kodak CX6330. Or at least that's what it says in my picture album on my computer.....
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:44 PM   #19

I have the same camera and it works great, except for indoor flash use.Ive tried taking picture inside a lit school gymnasium for a basketball game, a ceremony,and most of my pictures come out dark. I set the camera on auto mode, and I know the cameras flash activates but its really disturbing that I cant get clean pictures. Im a novice with cameras and this is my first digital, never really had this problem with my 35mm camera, is there a simple solution to my problem?any suggestions?thx.
jackmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:18 PM   #20

jackmont wrote:
Quote:
I have the same camera and it works great, except for indoor flash use.Ive tried taking picture inside a lit school gymnasium for a basketball game, a ceremony,and most of my pictures come out dark. I set the camera on auto mode, and I know the cameras flash activates but its really disturbing that I cant get clean pictures. Im a novice with cameras and this is my first digital, never really had this problem with my 35mm camera, is there a simple solution to my problem?any suggestions?thx.
Sir, you didn't quote the post you replied to, thus we don't really know "which" camera you have.

Can you tell us? Is it the Olympus, or Kodak?

-tlmiller10