Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

I got a nice Kodak 3.1 megapixel camera back in Dec 2003 after it got a good review on this site. I never had any problems with it and I was always satisfied with the pictures I took from it. But I've been thinking about getting a newer camera. I was always under the impression that the more megapixels the camera is, the better quality pictures your going to take. BUt I read someplace that more megapixels only means you can take larger pictures. I usually only use my camera on vacations as it is, and now I'm wondering, do I even need to upgrade my camera?

Thanks
Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:09 PM   #2

Phillies-

No, you might not need a new digital camera at all. For snapshots, a 3 to 4mp camera will produce excellent prints up to 5" X 7" and 8" X 10" in a pinch.

If you do really feel that urge for something new, then take a look at the Olympus C-5500. Selling for right around $210 it is the biggest bargain around. Frankly I was amazed by what the C-5500 (5mp 5X optical zoom, AA batteries, full manual controls, low light level focus assist lamp) could do.

The C-5500 attached photo was taken in our family room at ISO 400 handheld without flash.

Sarah Weber
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

"I got a nice Kodak 3.1 megapixel camera back in Dec 2003 after it got a good review on this site."

I assume you have the 6330. It takes nice quality images. As long as it does everything you want to do, I see no reason to upgrade. Shutter lag was average when the camera came out but is slow by today's standards. If you find yourself missing shots because of this, it might be time to upgrade. Other than that, Steve always mentions the "fun factor" in his reviews of ultrazoom digicams. After owning a Panasonic FZ10 with 10x optical zoom, I can attest to that. You say that you usually only use your camera on vacations so there may be other things on which you'd rather spend your money, but ultrazooms can certainly add another "dimension" to your photography. Bensbargains.net has a link to a vendor offering the Olympus C755 for $255. Only you can decide if there are good reasons to upgrade; however, image quality shouldn't be one. The 6330 takes fine pics.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:29 PM   #4

Amazon has the Olympus C-755 listed for $199 (US).

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:07 PM   #5

I have an old KODAK DX6340 a 3.2m 4x optical zoom. It's a great camera, and for everyday use it works outstanding. Great at birthday partys indoors, snapping the grandkids outdoors etc. It's tough as nails. Everyone in the family has used it. I try do more with my cams so I picked up a DX7590. I bought all the lenses, filters, etc. If youhave the DX6340 youget alot of addons for your KODAK just checkoutaccessories at KODAK.COM. So if your happy with your cam maybe an add on lens or two will take you to another level. Remember just because you don't have the lastest cam doesn't mean you don't have a good cam.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Basically I take pictures with my camera to store in my online photo albums (ie vacation photos) and to put as windows wallpapers. My camera takes pictures that can't even fit on my monitor unless I stretch the pictures down to size. With that being said, there would be no need to get a camera that takes even larger pictures, right? And from what I understand, the more megapixels a camera is, the larger the picture is going to be.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:57 PM   #7

Phillies wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Basically I take pictures with my camera to store in my online photo albums (ie vacation photos) and to put as windows wallpapers. My camera takes pictures that can't even fit on my monitor unless I stretch the pictures down to size. With that being said, there would be no need to get a camera that takes even larger pictures, right? And from what I understand, the more megapixels a camera is, the larger the picture is going to be.
Ok, I'll be the one to step up and fill you in.

The larger the megapixels a camera has, is mainly related to how large of a print it can produce. (IE: 3 MP's is basically enough for 4X6,with little to no cropping, 4MP andLarger produce larger prints withmore sharpness, clarity, color and detail.)

The process and size of the sensor on Digital SLR cameras (IE: Canon Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, Nikon D70, etc) is what makes them so fast and produce such a clean image.

If you print 8X10, you really need a 4 MP camera. 3 MP produces a "duller" picture because it had to stretch to fit the "true" 8X10 resolution.

There a many cameras that would be a viable upgrade for you.

Answer these questions:

1. Do I print my photos?
2. Am I happy with those prints?
3. Do I want more reach (IE: ZOOM)?
4. What's my budget?
5. What accesories can I reuse with a new camera (batteries : AA, AAA, LI-ION)
6. What do I like to shoot the most? (Indoors, outdoors, landscapes, kids, pets, birds?)

All of these things matter greatly in the purchase of a new camera.

Answer those questions and I'll help you find anew camera that will fit the bill, if you want me to.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:13 PM   #8

1. Do I print my photos?

No. I keep my pictures on webshots.com and as windows wallpapers.

2. Am I happy with those prints?

Never Printed a Photo

3. Do I want more reach (IE: ZOOM)?

My zoom seems fine as it is. But then again, I don't have anything to compare my camera to.

4. What's my budget?

I'm willing to spend up to the low 300's if there is a reason to do so.

5. What accesories can I reuse with a new camera (batteries : AA, AAA, LI-ION)

Don't know.

6. What do I like to shoot the most? (Indoors, outdoors, landscapes, kids, pets, birds?)

Vacation photos mostly. (ie, sporting events, outdoor scenery, beaches, mountains, pictures of myself)
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:24 PM   #9

Ok... now that , that is done. Post a few samples of your "work", your photos.

That will give us all a better idea at how "sharp" this 3.1 mp Kodak really is.

The decision still comes down to you...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:34 PM   #10

Here's one of my photo albums from my trip to Colorado. I'm going to be going to San Diego next weekend which is what prompted my question here on this board.

http://community.webshots.com/album/333446775iPEfWs

Enjoy!