Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:36 PM   #1

I have been looking at these 3 cameras and need suggestions on which one will give the best images and is the easiest to use. I am on a MAC if that makes any different. I am wanting this camera to take photos of my children, wildlife and general family/vacation shots. This is going to have to last me for awhile so I want to make sure I get the right one. I have been leaning toward the Sony or the Fuji. I did however, just see that Fuji is releasing the S5200 in Oct. I wasn't wanting to wait that long but am wondering if it would be worth the wait. Does anyone have any suggestions on picture quality in general between sony and Fuji? Any help is appreciated!
mom2ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #2

mom2ec-

The Sony H-1 is functionally a good digital camera but there have been more than a few complaints about the quality of the EVF being poor.

Personally I believe that it is worth the wait to get the new Fuji S-5200. I am impressed by the specs on the camera.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:39 AM   #3

Hi mom2ec,

i agree with Sarah.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:33 PM   #4

If you can wait, wait. It's only a month away and you will be satisfied (peace of mind!)one way or the other based on the reviews. If you can't wait, you will still get a great camera. They are all exceptional for wildlife and all other outdoor images.

Keep in mind, the S5200 won't come with image stabilization, but with higher ISO capability to compensate. These are two different ways of preventing blurry images at long zoomrangesand will provide different results under different circumstances.

After a recent outing with my S2, I realized how incredibly difficult it is to hold the camera steady for high zoom range shots. Can anyone provide input as to how useful higher ISO is compared to image stabilization? With higher ISO, does one even need IS?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:00 PM   #5

swgod98-

I shoot dSLR cameras all the time out to 450mm and I have no problems with camera movement. It take taime and practice, but it can be learned. Please get into the habit of supporting the lens barrel with your left hand.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:51 PM   #6

Sarah, I don't have a dSLR. But, what little barrel I have to hold on to, I do. I haven'ttried taking shots without the IS enabled, but I had some trouble at the 48x setting when I tried even with IS on. What is the mm equivalent of 48x?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:28 PM   #7

swgod98-

1728mm would be the equivalent of 48X optical zoom. However, with the S-2 that 48X cannot be OPTICAL zoom!? Once you get into digital zoom, all bets are off and sharpness goes to pot. I believe that is the real explanation of your sharpness problems.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:21 PM   #8

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
swgod98-

1728mm would be the equivalent of 48X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Oh it's definitely digital zoom. I was only experimenting. 1728mm sure is nice!! But, I am considering a telephoto lens which would put me up in the 600 range. Since I have no experience at that level, I cannot comment...But, I suspect the IS at that level will be important since I can't raise the ISO to dSLR standards.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:36 PM   #9

I have a sony H1 and love everything about the camera.
There isn't anything I'd change.

What I especially like is it's small size, 12x optical zoom/48x digital zoom. The photos are very crisp even at the 36x digital zoom range. The camera is very light, yet feels very well made.

I've owned many cameras in the past, both mini cameras, compacts and larger 35mm SLR's.
The sony H1 is a great camera in my opinion.

As far as waiting for new cameras to come out, if there is a specific camera your waiting for then you should wait. However remember that better cameras will continue to come out every month or so as technology continues to improve and the cameras continue to evolve. So you'll never be able to purchase the last best camera. there will always be something better coming...
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:56 PM   #10

Eric-

How have you found the low light level or night shots with the Sony H-1? I would love to see some samples. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce