Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

I think I've already made my decision, but I thought some of you might be able to point out some things that I missed. I am leaning towards the Pentax *ist DL for the following reasons:

First of all Pentax lenses are very widely available and less expensive than Minolta lenses, and I already have an old Vivitar all manual camera that uses the Pentax K mount, but I guess that doesn't really matter because I would only be buying AF.

I greatly prefer SD cards to CF simply because they are much smaller, and size and transfer rates are just about equal now so it doesn't really matter. Plus I'm shooting a Panasonic FZ series now so I already have SD cards.

The image stabalization on the Minolta is great, but I do almost entirely tripod shooting anyways so I don't think it would be benificial to me.

The higher resolution on the Pentax LCD is very enticing.

I like the fact that I can use AA batteries in the Pentax, although I would definatly go for the lithium battery packs its nice to know I have an easy alternative if they run out.

And last, but certainly not least, the price of the DL kit is very similar to the price of the 5D body, which is very persuasive to say the least. I am planning on getting a waterproof housing for whatever I get so the money I have left after buying a camera will go towards that.

If anyone has any information that I'm missing, please let me know. I know I neglected to mention image qualtiy, but I have seen shots from both, and am well pleased with the results of each. I shoot action and portraits almost exclusively.
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:48 PM   #2

I would go with the KM 5D because of the IS around the imager. Now is you asked about a Pentax 1stDS rather than the DL versus the KM 5D, I would pick the Pentax 1stDS because it has a true and much brighter and better viewfinder than the DL or the 5D.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:34 PM   #3

Don't discount the sensor based image stabilization of 5D too quickly. Due to compressed discs, I used a tripod almost exclusivly for 4yrs, indoors & out. I have an A1 now & the IS works so well that I rarely use a tripod now. Also, the 5D's IS will work with any brand of lens with a minolta mount...not just minolta lenses.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:57 PM   #4

kalypso-

Thanks for the input regarding the KM "Anti-Shake" technology. I had not heard any personal reports. Thanks. NowI can look even more seriously at the KM 5D.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:54 AM   #5

Does anyone know how good the kit lens for the 5D is? Oh, and what is with the Dynax/Maxxum thing? How come sometimes its called the Dynax and other times called the Maxxum? Different pictures I've seen say either Dynax or Maxxum on the actual camera too, is this a region thing?
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:18 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i am not sure what the kit lens on the KM 5d is.. but i would spring for the 17-35 2.8-4.0 or the 28-75 2.8.. they are both made by Tamron and both have been proven across many camera mounts to be optically excellent!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:46 AM   #7

Basic Kit Lens for 5D is the Maxxum AF "DT" 18-70 mm f/3.5-5.6...

And the name is just a name...Maxxum is what KM uses in N. America, in Europe/Asia its called the Dynax, and in Japan its a-SweetDigital(a for Alpha)....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote