Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1

I need a new camera to replace my dying canon a70. I need something that is good for fast/action shots for catching my kiddos, a good zoom for when I go to Nascar races, and around 4mp if possible. I also want to stay around 200-250.00 if I can. I've looked at the Canon A510, the Nikon Coolpix 4800, and the Fuji Finepix S3100. Can anyone elaborate on them, or suggest something else? Thanks so much!!
Katina
Mom of 2 :? boys
katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2

katina-

Currently Amazon has a special on the Olympus C-755 at $199 (US). Beyond that there is the Olympus C-765/770 twins. These cameras are not stabilized, but are capable of some excellent photos, and they are in your price range. They also have a problem focusing when the light levels get low. So read the reviews and know what they can and can not do. Another camera to consider is the Fuji S-5100 which is right at the top of your budget range. The S-5100 is a very good camera and users seem to love it a lot.

Here is sample photo taken with an Olympus C-765.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:47 PM   #3

It looks good! So do you think it'll do everything I need it to? I'll take a closer look at some reviews. What about the Panasonic cameras? Anyone have experience with them?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:23 PM   #4

Katina-

I have tons of experience with the Panasonic FZ series, but none of the with the exception of the 2.1mp FZ-1 are within your $200-$250 budget range.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5

Oh darn! I am seriously looking at the Fuji finepix S3100. Anyone have any opinions of this one? I'll go check the fuji forum. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6

Steve doesn't recommend the S3100 for indoor shooting because of its inability to focus in low ambient light. It will take a bit of luck, but I've seen the Panasonic FZ3 go for less than $250 on eBay.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:01 PM   #7

Katina-

Please tell us a bit more about your specific needs and what kind of photos you like/want to take. Perhaps a zoom in the 5X to 6X optical zomm category could fill the bill and save you some money.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:14 PM   #8

Okay, I have two little boys, so need something that can catch them before they move. I go to Nascar races a few times a year, and would love to have enough zoom to get good pics there of the cars. I do take indoor shots of the boys, so need that capability also. I will use it for my online biz, so need something that will take pics of my products. Also, some shots of my doggies occasionally. That pretty much sums up my needs I think. I'll scrap the s3100. Do you know if the 5100 is any better? I haven't had a chance to explore online yet. Thanks so much!!
Katina

Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:29 PM   #9

Katina-

Thanks for the e-mail telling me of your needs. Please scratch the Fuji S-3100 as it does not have an adjustable ISO setting. The price of the Fuji S-5100 (average internet price $242)has been forced down because the S-5200 is being released late next month. It is a very nice digital camera capable taking great digital photos. It has 4mp and a full 10X optical zoom. I would think the Fuji S-5100 would be an excellent choice for you and it will fill all of your needs very nicely.

Here is a sample photo taken with my Fuji S-5000 the predecessor to the S-5100. My S-5000 is just a 3mp camera and the S-5100 is a 4mp camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:59 PM   #10

Katina-

I just checked with www.pricegrabber.com and the best price from a reputable dealer that I could find on the C-5100 was $276 at www.buydig.com. I have purchased three different digital cameras from them and they are very preputable, prompt, and fair.

Sarah Joyce