Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:19 PM   #11

B1ue-

Thanks for the link. It is my opinion that there will be a huge change in digital camera design and innovation in the next 12 to 18 months. The actions by Kodak, Sonyand Fuji are just sort of a prelude in my opinion. Grab a seat and enjoy the show, I think there is a whole lot more to come.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:47 PM   #12

I'm sure you're right, Sarah. And I would guess that in 6 months time I could probably buy the 8080 AND the FZ5 for less than the cost of the S9000! Don't think I can wait that long though...
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:34 PM   #13

B1ue-

Please do not feel badly. There are a good number of folks who will not be able to wait. Today's digital cameras still represent an excellent buy in terms of ground breaking technology. Enjoy!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:42 AM   #14

Thank you for reply

My new list:

Canon EOS 350D with 18-55 and 90-300 (1149 euro)

http://www.onlinestore.it/product_in...oducts_id=1018

Fuji 9000 (9500 in Europe)

Whatare your opinions?

Thank you

Gianluca
*gb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #15

gb-

Because there have been no real in depth reviews of a production Fuji S-9000/S-9500 it is difficult to determine which camera would be "best." And keep in mind that "best" is a very personal judgement. However, do be sure to physically handle the Canon 350D/XT and see how you like it. Some folks do not like the camera's ergonomics or viewfinder.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:15 PM   #16

I have seen samples from S9000 and the Samsung 815Pro and both look fabulous. I am waiting to see more before I choose, but both are under $900, lighter and smaller than the Canon and Nikon DSLRs and have it all in one lens and start at 35mm equivalent of 28mm!!! and go up to 300mm or 400mm tele which is amazing. Ithink one has a image stablizer and the other has automatic ISO variation that will go up to 1600 without horrendous 'noise.' Wow!

Currently I use a D70 for studio work and a 7900 for take everywhere camera.

You can see both types of images at:

http://public.fotki.com/npro

npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:23 PM   #17

sredd68 wrote:
Quote:
I know most people seem to have some apprehension when someone sugguest Kodak products but I don't. I would suggest the DX7590, Z7590 or the new P850. Both are very good cameras.
Kodak makes some very good cameras, and you can do a lot with them. I would advise anyone considering them to investigate carefully, though, to be sure they have the features you need.

It's long been my opinion that Kodak has a tradition of making cameras with superior optics and oddly limited feature sets. This goes back to the some of the classic Retina cameras that had great lenses but lacked fast or slow shutter speeds.

Last year, I decided to try their DX6490. At the time it was their best ultra-zoom, and it is a very nice camera. It has the best set of manual exposure controls I've ever seen on a digital camera. It performs surprisingly well at ISO 400, which is important to me. Some users were bothered by its aggressive compression ratio, but I never had a problem with it.

What caught me by surprise, though, was the lack of focus options. I knew before I bought it that it didn't offer manual focus. But what I didn't know is that it offers no focus presets (other than infinity, in landscape mode) and no way to lock focus, other than by holding the shutter button in the half-pressed position. And the camera goes to sleep after 60 seconds, even though the shutter button is half pressed.

Lots of people would never notice this, but it was a source of great frustration to me. No matter; my daughter enjoys it now, and I much prefer my Panasonic FZ20. I'm not much inclined to try another Kodak, but I'm sure the more recent models are improved. Still, I would urge anyone considering a Kodak to check it out thoroughly, just to be sure it has the features you need and expect.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:41 PM   #18

Robb-

Thanks so very much for your comments about Kodak digital cameras. I sincerely believe that their latest offerings over some improvements over the DX-6490 that you have.

Beacause I really like existing light/low light level photos, please tell me how your favorite camera, the Panasonic FZ-20, does at ISO 400 when doing Stage/Concert/Theatrical photos?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:51 AM   #19

If you looking for superzooms, then IS is must so you only left with Panasonic FZ series, canon S1/S2 and new sony. I will say FZ20 as it is only 5MP and you can get it cheaper as now the new model FZ30 is out. Canon s2 if you like videos on you digicam.

dSLRs are nice but getting into that zoom range is very expensive and heavy. I have FZ1, FZ5 and 10D 100-400, 400mm canon.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:55 AM   #20

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Beacause I really like existing light/low light level photos, please tell me how your favorite camera, the Panasonic FZ-20, does at ISO 400 when doing Stage/Concert/Theatrical photos?

Sarah Joyce
Not bad considering it is $400, 420mm at f2.8. Personally I wouldn't use it for that application. It is mainly outdoor camera.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote