Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:04 PM   #21

BobbyZ-

Thanks for your post. Yes, I really do agree with you that the Panasonic FZ series are really outdoor digital cameras. Here is a handheld, no flash photo that shows the kind of photos I am taking.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:10 PM   #22

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Beacause I really like existing light/low light level photos, please tell me how your favorite camera, the Panasonic FZ-20, does at ISO 400 when doing Stage/Concert/Theatrical photos?
Sarah, I think it performs reasonably well. Noise is a reality, but it's one that can be dealt with. I find noise in a 5 MP image not nearly as objectionable as the same level of noise in a 2 MP image.

I think ISO 400 on the FZ20 is slightly noisier than ISO 800 on the Fuji F10, but less noisy than the F10's ISO 1600.

The attached image is one I intended to post in the Panasonic forum, but never got around to. It has definitely been resized, but as far as I can tell, there was no other post-processing. It was taken at an outdoor concert, 48 minutes after sunset and 19 minutes after the end of "civil twilight". So the sky was not entirely dark yet, but close.
Attached Images

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:55 AM   #23

I wrote a longer reply but some how it has disappeared. So here's a quick one.

1. I do frequent DPreview Kodak forum. Ron and Mike are very helpful and a third posted about the P seriesmonths before the press release.

2. New technology doesn't stopold technology from being capable,WE DO!By throwin it aside. There are exceptions to every rule.

3. I've gotten offers to do paid shootsbecause ofthequality of the shots from my DX7590, 6490, and 7630. Of course I turned them down as I am not a professional and do not want to be. Might take away from the fun!

4. I recently purchased a P850. Haven't had a chance to give it a work out, but I like what I've seen so far.So much so that my sister is about to receive my 6490.

Taken with the DX7590.

sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:13 AM   #24

shredd68-

Welcome to the Kodak P-850 group. I received my 850 yesterday so I am just beginning to explore. We do have an active and very friendly group right here in the Kodak folder. Drop by and chat when you can.

The photo you posted is excellent.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:47 PM   #25

Thank you Sarah! But please don't forget to take a whole lot of pictures when you do the seminar! I will look forward to your review of the P850.

:|Oh yeah...the lens adapter is available at the Kodak online store:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...gory=EKN030485
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:13 PM   #26

Thanks to all.

I've seen Canon Eos 350 D and Nikon D50 in a shop.

The price difference is about 50-100 euro (799 euro Canon, 739 euro fornikon D50).

What is the best camera? Canon Eos 350 D, NIkon D50 or Nikon D70 (or 70s) ?

I would like to buy the kit (18-55 mm) in every case.Nikon lens kit it's better than Canon?

bye

*gb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:34 PM   #27

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
.... I received my 850 yesterday so I am just beginning to explore....
Sarah, I will be very interested to hear your impressions of this camera. I have to admit to a certain fascination with Kodak cameras, even though experience tells me they aren't for me.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:44 AM   #28

Hm - I miss the Oly super zoom series in your comparison.

I own a C770 UZ and it has 10x Zoom, 4mp, not too big and price is well in your range. It gave me some wonderful pics over the last year so maybe this could be a more budget oriented choice for you.

If you got questions about it, just ask.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:26 AM   #29

I think that the low light shooting is where the affordable (under $1000) digitals fall down compared to the high end digitals and film cameras.

Is anyone out there willing to highly recommend an affordable digital for candids and theater shots without flash (a fairly low light levels) ?

If you look at my 7900 images you will some some with incredible resolution and sharpness and others that are very very soft which were taken at low light levels. It is just a reality with the smaller chips, smaller lenses.

Dan

Nikon 7900, Nikon D70

http://public.fotki.com/npro/7900
npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:54 PM   #30

How about the just now being released Fuji FinePix S5200 (S5600 outside the US and Canada)? It uses the same chip technology as the F-10, which seems to do well in low light. It's got a 10X optical zoom. No image stabilization, though. Should be between $300 and $400 US.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote