Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:41 AM   #1

Hello

I would like to buy a new camera but I'm very confused.

Today I've read tons of pages on the internet about "super zoom" camera.

I love nature, mountains and meteorology, so I need at least zoom 10x.

I already have a HP945 (8X zoom).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

What is the best for you?

Thank you

Greetings
*gb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:07 AM   #2

What do you want to do that you can't do with your HP 945? I heard it took good pictures but was somewhat slow between shots.

I have a Fuji S5100. For the money, it was a good deal. Some people, however, will spend extra money to get a camera with image stabliization, like the Panasonic FZ-5 and FZ-20.

If you let us know about your budget and what you want to take pictures of, it will be easier for people to give you useful advice.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:31 AM   #3

Hello Robbo, thank you for the answer

I want extra zoom because I use to take photos of clouds, mountains and wild animals.

The budget is about 500$ (I stay in Italy).

I'msearching opinions about:

Canon Power Shot S2 IS

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 30 (or 20 but FZ 30 is 8 Mpx)

Konica Minolta Dimage Z6

Kodak Easy Share Z740

or other camera

*gb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Read this post about Fuji S9000 zoom (S9500 for EU version) vs competition

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

It looks like a very well-balanced camera
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5

Personally, I would remove the bottom two from the list. The KM Z-6 is just a 6mp imager fitted to a Z-5, so it does not yet represent new technology. Kodak may come through with their new P series cameras but the Z740 is once more old technology re-done.

Certainly thePanasonic FZ-series, the Canon S-2 IS and the Sony H-1 are contenders, although there have be cpmpalaints regarding the poor performance of the H-1 EVF. As you get nearer and nearer to the $500 (US) price range, it is logical to consider the lower cost dSLR's as well. The prices on dSLR's seems to get lower every month.

The dSLR cameras can offer a much larger CMOS imager that has greater depth of field and can attain much high ISO speeds if you like low light level and nightphotography. The enhanced depth of field of the dSLR cameras might indeed work well for your cloud, mountain, and landscape photos.

This is just my opinion only, but I honestly believe that the very first decision is to go with a dSLR or a pro-sumer fixed lens digital camera. Once that is settled, you can then focus on which model within the basic group would be best for you.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:40 PM   #6

check out the Sony H1, it has a 12x optical zoom

check out these shots I took w/ the H1
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:31 PM   #7

eR1c-

Thanks for the great photos from the Sony H-1. There have been a few complaints regarding the poor quality of the EVF.

What are your feelings regarding the quality/ease of viewing of the EVF?

Thanks for your help.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:24 PM   #8

I know most people seem to have some apprehension when someone sugguest Kodak products but I don't. I would suggest the DX7590, Z7590 or the new P850.All are very good cameras. From the shots I've seen taken by actual users (myself included) the cameras perform fine. Picture quality and colors are great. it's that most people don't take the time tolearn their equipment. Some are brand loyalist so no matter how a product from another company performs, it will never be as good as their favorite.

What I suggest to you is get out to your nearest electronics store and try them out for yourself. Keep in mind that a lot of sample photos that are posted may have been post-processed to bring out the best of those shots. That's why I recommend trying them for yourself.

Oh and check this review of the Z740 from a pretty wellrespected digital camera site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/page12.asp

Again you have to try them for yourself! :|
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:41 AM   #9

shredd68-

I certainly agree that Kodak has much improved their digital camera line. However, and this is justoffered, IMHO, that the P series cameras are their best offering to date, especially the P-850 which has lots of desired and innovative features.

In addition if you watch the www.dpreview.com forums, you will notice that the Kodak staff actively takes part in those forums. So you have the opportunity to speak with Kodak management and to gain their insight. For example, I found out why the P-series Kodak cameras DO NOT NEED a low light level focusing lamp. My hat goes off to them for some very inovative engineering. As a registered engineer myself, I can really appreciate their innovation. Kodak, like Fuji has come back into the market with some of their best cameras to date, and are willing to prove it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:25 PM   #10

I also tend to dismiss Kodak because their prosumer digicams have gotten very mixed reviews. But the specs on the P850 look very good. I set up a comparison on LetsGoDigital between the Panasonic FZ30, Fuji S5200 & S9000, and the Kodak. The specs are impressive: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...1011-1012.html

So thanks for the tip, Sarah. I'll be watching for reviews.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote