Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

Hi Everyone - With the holidays coming up, we've decided to get our stepmother her first digital camera. I've been reading the posts, focusing on the ones similar to my question but had a few more details and wanted your opinion.

What camera(s) meet this criteria?

1. Compact w/ at least a 2.0 LCD viewfinder
Not too small but small enough for an avg. size purse
I doubt she'd use the viewfinder much at all

2. Outrageously simple to use - literally need point and shoot
Beyond turning it on and maybe using the telephoto lens, no other adjustments would be made most of the time (at least by her)

3. Not too expensive - I don't want that to be too much of a limiting factor but anything above $250 is probably too much of a camera for her

4. Decent pics for printing (they don't do the computer thing much so it would be taking the card to the store for print outs mostly)

We've had a Fuji and now I have the Panasonic FZ15 so I'm partial to those brands (FZ15 WAY too much camera for them) but I'm so used to them, it is hard for me to feel comfortable with other brands so none of them seem "easy" to me initially when I look at them. (I guess there is always a learning curve).

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:55 PM   #2

photocat-

Take a look at the Fuji A-345, A-350, and the Kodak DX-7440. They are all very easy to use and about $150 on the internet.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

The Panasonic model to look at would be the DMC-LZ1. It has 6x optical zoom and image stabilization. $230 at B&H Photo, a reputable vendor. The Fuji FinePix E500 and E510 fit your criteria, also. $165 and $200 respectively at B&H. Another camera to consider is the Casio QV-R62. You should be able to find it for less than $250. The Olympus Stylus 500 is $250 at B&H. It features all-weather construction and a bright 2.5" LCD with 160 degree viewing angle. The Nikon 4600 sells for around $200. While its 1.8" LCD doesn't quite meet your criteria, it does have in-camera red eye fix which might be useful since your stepmother doesn't "do the computer thing much". Most point and shoot models do have a problem with red eye. I suggest you start by reading the conclusion page in Steve's digicam reviews of these models and others that are suggested. You can then read the full review for any camera which interests you. Good luck.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:40 AM   #4

photocat-

Here is another suggestion. The DXG-308 at http://www.pricegrabber.com. is $79.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:02 PM   #5

Thanks all for the suggestions! I will definitely research each one. Any more thoughts or suggestions are always welcome too!
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote