Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:23 AM   #1

whats the best out of the 2.

Or if there is better please state (same catorgory cameras)
jstigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:07 AM   #2

Better in what way? Both models are excellent cameras but have their own strengths and weaknesses, like any camera. Does size matter to you? If so, the FZ5 is a compact model compared to the S2SI. How about batteries? FZ5 takes Lithium charged - great battery life; S2SI takes AA. Move mode? S2SI's is better than FZ5. Image quality: probably about equal. Price: FZ5 wins hands down. You can get it for $347.00 and save the extra cash for memory cards, etc. See this link:

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=DMCFZ5BK

If you prefer silver, the same vendor sells it for $356.00 and shipping is only .06. I cannot imagine a better deal for such a quality UZ.

Canon S2SI is almost $150 more:

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=S2ISKIT

I also chose b/t these two models and bought the FZ5 from 6ave.com. I thoroughly satisfied with everything about this camera and could not justify spending more for the S2, but in the end the real dealbreaker for me was the compact size of the FZ5 and the Leica lens.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:19 AM   #3

Excellent answer, Justinian-

However, we ought to note the fact that neither the Canon S-2 IS nor the Panasonic FZ-5 are real low light or night photography cameras due to an ISO limit of ISO 400 and a high amount of noise which is characteristic of Ultra zoom digital cameras.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:31 AM   #4

good points guys,,,,,,,

thanks foe the help.

if I wanted one that could do everything well (including night shots) which would I go for.

Similarly sized, ultra zoom, around the same money
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:00 PM   #5

Neither of thesecamera's have higher ISO settings. And the 400 setting kind of sucks on them. Though I also don't think there is a high ISO camera to compare against the two you mentioned. Fuji is coming out with one soon...is it next month?

If you are considering the FZ5 and S2 IS, consider the H1 as well. All in the same ballpark.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:23 PM   #6

Here is an example of what the Fuji F-10 can do. While it is 6.3mp, it only has 3X optical zoom. However the same imager system will be available soon in the Fuji S-9000 (9mp, 1X optical zoom) and the S-5200 (5mp, 10X optical zoom), as the will come to market in the USA in October. They will come to market in Europe even sooner.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:22 AM   #7

so do you reakon the s5200 will be the pick of the ultra zooms????
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:30 AM   #8

jstigwood-

The Fuji 5200 will be a top contender, just watch the reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:30 AM   #9
P J

Hi everyone.

I have also been trying to decide between the FZ5 and S2 IS. I am holding off buying at the moment until I see a few S5200 reviews.

One thing I noticed about S2 IS though was that the LCD was quite blurry and never seemed to reach a good focus. It was so poor that the shopkeeper unpacked another camera to see if it was the same - it was.

None of the reviews I have seen found any problem with the LCD. Did I chance upon a few dodgy cameras or is the LCD really that bad compared to the FZ5?

P J

P J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:21 PM   #10

You might also consider the Kodak P850, which is similar in features, has a good lens and an ISO range from 50-800.

Just looking at the specs for the Fuji 5200, I would lean toward one of the other cameras. The Fuji has no manual focus, no aperture priority, no shutter priority. Also, less zoom, no IS, limited macro, limited wide angle, etc.

Here's a comparison: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-1019-897.html
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote