Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

Well, I knew it would happen, now I will hope for the best. I just pre-ordered the Fuji S9000 yesterday from JR Musicworld. I got an EPP discount price of $625.00 plus $6.00s/h. Now I just wait for it to come to papa. I hope someone will tell me I made the right choice, but if you think I screwed up please tell me now so I can make the call to cancel.

Thanks for all the previous advice.

?guy
?GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

Actually, I think that you did the right thing. I was also giving some thought to pre-ordering the Fuji S-9000. It sounds like a great digital camera. I am sure you will really be happy with it.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

guy-

You got a great price on a fantastic camera. Please have another beer and just enjoy the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

Sarah,

Thank you forthe support. I've been looking and comparing a number of cameras, butthey all seem to run together after awhile. This one just seemed to keep coming back into view.

?quy
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:31 PM   #5

Guy-

It was a good move. I called J & R myself this morning and also pre-ordered the S-9000. The S-9000 is really shaping up to be a great digital camera. In the FujiFilm folder they already have 11 pages of posts on the S-9000 including some folks in Europe who are already using the European version called the S-9500. They love the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6

I hope its the right choice. I've ordered the S9500 after having my S5000 stolen in France a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I was nearly tempted to a DSLR by the Canon EOSD 350D or Nikon D50, but the Fuji takes away the bother of swapping lenses and the ability just to point and shoot if I want to.

And I loved my Fuji S5000.

malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:17 PM   #7

I two was ready to buy a dslr. Probably the Cannon Rebel 350 XT, or the 20D which I really liked. But the cost was a lot more, and while the need for some extra post processing concerned me some, I was more bothered by the fact that changing lenses could and would allow dust to get to the image sensor. That reason alone pushed me toward a fixed lens digicam. I was not overly secure with Fuji as the manufacturer, I use and like their film but, I have read a few post from Fuji owners and most everyone is very happywith their Fuji. I guess it's just a waiting game now, I check almost everyday with J&R to see if it has come in yet.I think they are getting tired of me calling. Well thank you all for sharing your vote of confidence.

?guy
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:41 AM   #8

?Guy,

You seem to know about 35mm Fuji films, the legendary Fuji Velvia ,a favorite nature slide film among professionals. Fuji NPS, one of the best wedding film... and you are not quite comfortable with your new order of the S9000. Let's trace it back to the money source. Those income Fuji make from quality films and photography hardware, their commercial One Hour Photo printing cost hundred of thousand dollars per machine which they dominate the market in this area, plus their successful fair share of this bloody digital cameras market, the money has to go somewhere, I beleive they spend on R&D for new generation of cameras like the S9000, with this large sum of money, they can afford to hire top gun engineers to work for them.

The only problem is to wait until the S9000 to land on your hands safely. You'll have an extra aperture of f11, other comsumer cameras can go to f8 the most. f11, the magic number to shoot backlit scene against the sun in manual mode, to control flare with the help of a big lens shade. I am waiting to see the control lay out, what the mystery in it, I'm happy if it is similar or better than the S5100 I am using now.

CS.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:52 PM   #9

Coldshot,

Thanks for driving home the point. I am familiar with the Fuji brand and the fine quality and value of their film line, but still I just wasn't sure about the hardware. You've clearified the picture for me in a way that takes away all my fears. (halleluiah) But really your explaination was good and I do appreciate it. I know I'll be really happy when it (s9000) arrives. Can't wait.

?guy
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:26 PM   #10

?GUY

My pleasure,

I think we are at the right time but in the wrong place, we should move to the Fuji forum in this same website. Fuji members are nice people, we get together helping others sincerely.

TGIF, I have time to discuss more about your next camera the S9000.

Here we go, the Fuji S9000 is produced after their flagship DSLR S3, I beleive this is a different group of engineers. The prosumer camera group is doing their homwork well, they came up with the S9000 a combination of both the S5100 and the S7000 and bingo, they give us a camera that has all the bells and whistles we need.

A 9MP sensor, quite high compare to others in this category.

A hotshoe to add extra flash power of our choice.

A standard lens diameter of 55mm whichyou can find at any camera shop when we need some filters.

Mechanical feel manual lens if we want to turn of the autofocus system.

A PC socket for additional flash set up, quite handy ifwe need to rent a professional studio for serious portraits, you can hook up to their lighting system.

An extra f stop of f11, we do need this for backlight shots or macro shots.

This Fuji S9000 flash sync is at 1/1000 sec, very generous high speed sync. All I need is just 1/250 sec.

What this group of engineers is up to? They sure listened to our fustrations with those mediocre point and shoot cameras we had in the yesteryears.

Check out their DSLR S3, eventhough it didn't get strong performance reviews, but look carefulat the good features in there, did they passdown to the S9000? We don't know yet. If no, so the two groups of engineers don't share technology with each other. If yes, then it indicates to us that they work as a big team. Whatever the answer is, the S9000 group has stroke a knock out punch. A wake up call for other camera makers, I think they don't want to be sitting ducks and let Fuji makes a surprise move to bite a big chunk of this bloodymarket share.

Fuji cameras are still made in Japan where quality control is very strick. Other makers sent their consumer cameras offshore. I don't know how long this will last. I have no question about their cameras quality at all as I am a rough camera handler and my S5100 is still clicking good, I've tried every setting, push this button here, pusth there, push with two hands a combination of two buttons all together to find out the secret in it.

Oh boy, what a brilliant move on Fuji. The battle has just begun.

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote