Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:54 AM   #1

I have been researching for a while which digital camera to get next. I will be using it for a lot of extreme sports photography and therefore need to have a good zoom covering a wider range and also for it to capture high speed instants. I also need to be able to get a water housing for it. I was just about to buy a Nikon Coolpix 8800 when I read a review that it was slow at catching action shots!!! Also that it only has a digital screen viewfinder that reacts quite slow. However I then read that it has one the DIWA Gold award including shots at speed? I also saw a picture of the 8800 with both a digital viewfinder and a manual?

I can buy the 8800 for 490 pounds including 2.2GB micro drive, thats $894. I know there may be places to get it cheaper but I worry about it being a "Grey Good".

Can anyone varify the 8800's ability to catch high speed shots and can anyone advise me what they would buy for this application with this budget? All personal opinions equally respected!!!

Thanx,

Ben - England
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2

Ben-

Please close your eyes when passing photos and store displays of the Nikon 8800. It is a very slow, slow digital camera. I know first hand because I own one. I even have to wait a lot doing landscapes!

Take a look at the guys shooting sports photos for a living. They are all using dSLR cameras. Yes, some with very big lenses. You mentioned the need to change lenses, that is one of the primary features of a dSLR camera along with fast, continuous shooting an essential feature when shooting sports photos.

Please save yourself some quiet tears and refocus on entry level dSLR cameras like the Canon 350D/XT, the Nikon D-50, the KM 5D, and the Pentax 1st DSand you will be much happier and better equipped for those great photos.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:43 PM   #3

Sarah - thanx for the advice. I am in the water a lot of the time trying to get a kitesurf transition or dangling upsidedown on the end of a rope taking a shot looking down on an ascending technical climber, hence I've been looking at the superzoom category and the prosumers. I need to cover a wide range of distance/zoom and be able to stick it in a waterproof housing hence difficulty changing lenses all the time. I'm now veering towards the Fuji s9500. Based on this info what advice can you give me.

Many thanx,

Ben.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:37 PM   #4

Ben-

I surely agree with you that the Fuji S-9000/9500 would be an excellent choice for you as it is an "all in one" or fixed lens camera. The S-9000/9500 has a great lens range from 28mm to 300mm, as well as a high ISO capability. Those characteristics are going to give you exactly what you are look for in your photos situations.

I personally think so much of the Fuji S-9000/9500 that I pre-ordered one for myself this morning. I think you will love it. I certainly am anxious to receive mine, which will probably be arriving in late Ocotober at the earliest.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote