Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

Here is my situation. The last digital cam I bought was a cheesy 1M Kodakabout 4 year ago for an insane amount of money and it is no longer functioning. I work at a radio station and have specific needs for a new camera but I have NO CLUE what to buy. Basically I want someone to tell me what to do. That's where you all come in!

Here are my needs: I am wanting an 8Mp camera that has the ability to take video clips with audio in case artists come into the studio. Now, since the studio is usually dimly lit and I dont want to blind anyone with flashes it MUST handle well in low light...also because I will be taking shots at clubs and concerts. Also must have a pretty decent zoom. I would rather not have one of those tiny "pocket cameras" so a SLR would be preferred. Maximum amount I want to spend is between $750-1000.

I was completely sold on the Nikon Coolpix 8800 and even ordered it online. Radioactive Deals.com neglected to tell me it was out of stock so my "overnight shipping" went to waste and they refused to refund the shipping so I cancelled the entire order. :XI then came across a few reviews of people saying they hated it so then I didn't know what to do.

I went to Best Buy and the salesperson introduced me to the Canon EOS Rebel XT which seems great but it doesnt have the video feature.

What am I to do? :?Should I give up the video feature for the Canon? CNET raves about it....or should I go back to the Nikon and disreguard the reviews I read. Or do YOU have another suggestion?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks for reading-
Moose :angry:
MooseInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:34 PM   #2

Moose-

On a priority scale of 1 to 10, I think you have to put a priority on how important the video clips really are.

There is no doubt at all that the Canon 350D/XT will do a much better job, especially in low light level club, and concert shoot than the Nikon 8800 could ever do because the Canon XT can use ISO speeds up to 1600, while the 8800 is maxed out at ISO 400.

If the choice were mine, I would opt for the Canon 350D/XT. If you do that you are going to have to sharpen your photo skills to get the most out of that Canon XT.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:16 PM   #3

The video clips really arent that big of a priority but in a perfect world () I would own one camera that would take care of all of my needs. And if its not one of the 2 that I listed then thats fine too...tell me what else is available..I have looked at quite a few but I am so dumb when it comes to this type of stuff. I'm the "My VCR is blinking 12:00" guy when it comes to this!

Thanks for your help!!
MooseInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

just keep in mind that you are buying a camera.. and really, the video should be a secondary consideration.. if you need video, save up and get the real thing next..

it sounds like nearly all of your normal day to day shots will be in lighting that is less than ideal... with that in mind, you simply need a dslr.. there is no digicam that can serve that purpose well.. they simply do not function at the high iso's you will be using..

the rebel xt would be a good choice for you.. if price is a big concern, i would get it with the kit lens and then pick up a fast prime for low light situations, the 50mm 1.8 is cheap and will server your purposes.. if price is not a hinderence, get it body only and pair it up with a fast zoom (maybe a 28-70 2.8, or the sigma 18-50 2.8), and a faster prime along the lines of a50 1.4 or sigma's 30 1.4..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:57 AM   #5

Hi Moose, it can be a minefield can't it!!! I'm feeling your pain right now as I too am trying to make sure I pick up the right camera for my needs. About 5 years ago I bought a Sony PC100e which was the latest digital video with still camera on the market. My friends were all jealous of my 1MP pictures! and the video was super clear. Last year I got back from a year of travelling in Australia and was gutted to find out that all the still images looked amazing on screen but when you printed them (even standard 6x4) they were aweful! However the 8 hours of video is as crisp and vivid as you could ever get even after 5 years. On the flip side I have a mate who just went to Greece on holiday and came back with some amazing 5MP stills and some really dodgey little clips of video taken with a digital still camera. The point is that when combining the two functions one will always be far lesser on quality and so you need to choose which one.

I personally am looking solely for a still and don't look at all at the video eliment in a camera as I have the sony for that. The other thing I would say is that I too was nearly sold on the 8800 until I found the right reviews that hilighted the problems with it. People will always rave a camera that they have just received delivery of as they just spent 2 months wages on it or whatever!! The trick is to make sure you get the reviews of the people who have used them for several months. The other thing is that buying online can save you money but I think when it comes to something like this I like the fact I can go back to a shop a speak to someone in person regarding any problems. I am looking at getting the Finepix 9500 and found it on ebay and was just about to buy when I found out that it is shipped direct from Hong Kong and therefore I would have to pay the duty on it and also I run the risk of it being a "Grey Good".

I'm spending all day today going down the highstreet and trying every camera in my specification and budget range, I think it's the only way to go.

Good Luck!!!

Ben.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:06 PM   #6

moose-

In all fairness you want a lot. But that is OK. Let's go through this carefully, shall we? Keeping in mind all that you desire, perhaps it may indeed be wise move to take stock of some digital cameras that are attractively priced and offer many features.

Please take a good look at the Kodak V-550. I think that it may indeed offer exactly what you desire. Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote