Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1

I definitely want to get one of the Panasonic ultra zooms. The FZ5 got great reviews as did the fz20. Fz5 is smaller and seems basically the same except for lack of hot shoe which I don't care about and the lack of manual focus. Should lack of manual focus move me up to the fz20? Thank's.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:32 AM   #2

I can't tell you whether or not maual focus is necessary. You'll have to determine that by knowing what you want to accomplish with your camera.

If you are content to stay with fully automatic functions, then manual focus is not necessary. In that case, a point-and-shoot model without manual focus will be all you need. Many of these automatic modes are pretty good and will help you get nicely exposed photos quickly and easily.

If you want to get more creative and go beyond pre-set modes, then manual focus is indispensable. Manual focus will help you determine exactly what effects to create with the camera, such as control over depth-of-field (for perfect sharpness throughout a picture or some blurred and some sharp areas), shutter speed (for perfectly frozen action or blurred water falls, etc.). These effects cannot always be done in auto modes. They can often be simulated with software, but would you rather be out taking pictures or tweaking them on your computer?

I hope this information helps.

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the insightful info.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote