Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:24 AM   #1

Pleae forgive me as i am afirst time buyer and am sure compared to many on here I know next to nothing about digicams.But if possible, would it be possible to get an opinion as to the kind of specs (minimal)one should go for when buying a good (seen as) digicam today.This expecially with regards to megapixels and zoom.Realise that with megapixels, the higher u go the sharper thepicture that can be taken (and blown up right?) and zoom is easy enough.The camera I am looking to buy is a 3.2 megapixel onebut "can go up to 6.6".Would appreciate any help I can get.Thanks.
cambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:29 AM   #2

3.2 Mega-pixels (Up to 6.6 Mega-pixels) Resolution, Precise 1.5" TFT Color LCD, 4X Digital Zoom, 16MB bulit-in flash memory, SD card expansion slot, DPOF print, TV out.

This is what I was given.If it helps.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

Were those specs recommended to you? Optical zoom is the real consideration, digital zoom does not give you any more picture detail. Do you want TV out so you can view your pictures on a TV? Or do you want video? Will you use the camera with a computer? Can you say more about what you plan to do with the camera? Personal snapshots? Nature shots? Night shots? How large do you plan to print?
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:36 PM   #4

I hope you'll forgive me for being blunt, cambs. This sounds like an off-brand camera that's probably worth about half of the selling price.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:30 AM   #5

The specs were not recommnded but were given as a description of the camera.Will use it for personal snapshots and view pics mostly on pc.Think it comes with a USb cable.Will not be printing out pics often.Will accept that it is not a quality camera (in camprison to major brands) but it is what I can afford at the moment.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:15 AM   #6

"Will accept that it is not a quality camera (in camprison to major brands) but it is what I can afford at the moment."

Tell us the name of the camera and what you'll have to pay for it. There may very well be options (refurbished cameras, NOS cameras, etc.) that will put a much better camera in your hands for the same price. One of the buzz words used to sell these off-brand cameras is "interpolation". For instance, they say a 3 megapixel image can be "interpolated" to a 6 megapixel image. What they don't say is that the 6 megapixel image is probably no better and possibly worse than the 3 megapixel image. Also, whether 4X zoom or 40X zoom, digital zoom is generally worthless because it degrades image quality. Digital zoom is nothing more than cropping an image in-camera as opposed to cropping it in image editing software. All pixels are not equal either. I owned a 1.3 megapixel Olympus camera at one time which I'm fairly confident would have produced a better quality image than the off-brand camera you are considering. Tell us what you can afford and we'll help you get the best bang for your buck.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote