Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:10 PM   #1

What should i look for in a digital cameria for taking extream sports( Skateboarding BmX) pictures?
Help
Redhead[img]images/emoticons/speechless-smiley-008.gif[/img]
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:47 PM   #2

Redhead,

YOu should probably buy an Digial SLR with a detachable lens. Then you could buy groovy wide angle lenses as well as portrait and telephoto if you needed it.

If your really into action photos, I'd suggest buying a Nikon, at whatever your budget allows you.

The Nikon has flash synchronization to 1/500th, which you may well need (Canon only synch's to 1/250th).

Get yourself a decent external flash.

Other than that, shoot like crazy and Im sure you'll get some great shots.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

Digital slr = !5 year old in debt for the rest of his life!
Yes I am big time into action! So Noicko is the way to go? What modles have a good sequence shot setting or something like that? Im sorry I am a compleat noob
Thanks,
Redhead
Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:08 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about sequence shots too much.

You could look at a Nikon D50.

Yah, it's serious money but then you'll have a camera you'll be happy with for quite some time.

-- Terry
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:43 PM   #5

What should i look at if i want something cheap?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:47 PM   #6

Well, maybe take a look at a Canon point and shoot.

You want something that you can manually set the shutter speed, 'cause your going to need 1/500th or faster.

Also try to get something with a wide angle lens, 28mm at the wide end would be good.

Try to get one you can attach an external flash. It should have a flash hotshoe.

-- Terry
Old Sep 18, 2005, 2:01 AM   #7

I would highly recomend a SLR. I was 13 when I bought my 300d (14 now) off of
Ebay. Not a bad price, about $500. If you really put your mind to it you can find a way to afford it. I wanted mine ever since I was 10 years old. I also have a Canon A520 which I would recomend for my second choice, it's only 4mp but a overall great camera. Review
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #8

The main things that you should look for in a camera is speed. You should be able to take shots with a very quick shutter speed. 1/500th of a second. This will allow you to freeze fast and quickly moving objects. The other side of this is that you will need a camera that can have a wide aperture on the lens.

An SLR it allows you to change lenses so you can buy better and better, but more expensive lenses. With a compact camera, because you're stuck with one lens it needs to have a wide aperture. Aperture controls how much light is left into camera. f2.8 allows alot, f18 doesn't. Because you will be freezing shots with fast shutter speeds, this will limit the amount of light left in, so you need a fast lens to compensate, one with a wide f2.8 or f4 aperture.

Another factor is whether you ened a lens with a lot of zoom capabilities. 28mm-90mm is about standard. But if you're taking shots from far away you will need a longer zoom, anywhere from 200mm up to 600mm. While if your close up and want to take pictures that cover a wide angle you will need at least 28mm, but 24mm would be better.

A flash could be desirable depending on what sports you want to shoot. But with most compacts and P&S(point and shoots) the flash isn't very strong. And to get a strong flash costs money.

The problem with all this is expense. Sports and action shots are shots which really test the technical capabilities of cameras, and when your pushing this to the limit it adds to the cost. So you really have to balance what you expect from a camera with what your prepared to spend. Depending on how seriously you plan to get into photography an SLR really is the best(albeit expensive) option. If you're only going to be taking snapshots and don't plan on taking up photography as a main hobby your better of with comprimising on a point and shoot, and not wasting your money on expensive equipment that you will rarely use.

What you need to do is read a few guides on websites, and sports photography sites, decide what you want from the camera and then ask for reccommendations based on a bit more specific information.

Hope this helps.

Buceph.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:47 PM   #9

thanks
Any others?
Is the cannon A520 FAST?
What are some good sport photography sites?
Should I look for sport photography or action photography or extream?
I canot find much in acction, extream i get alot of skydiving photo web sites ect. and sports i would have thought of soccer baseball football>
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:45 PM   #10

If by fast you mean a wide aperature then yes it has an aperature of F/2.6. Other then that it is capable of fast shutter speeds. I don't know if you saw the review link.. Review
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote