Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:04 PM   #1

I am currently looking to purchase one of either of these cameras and I can not make up my mind as to which one I should go for. First of all... I know that the s5200 has not even hit the market so I have had only a few details to go by. Basically I am trusting the success of the s5100 and its reviews as to give me an idea of what I can expect from the s5200. I really dont plan on taking a lot of full zoom range pictures. I have heard that the image stabilization on the S2 IS is very helpful for indoor low light situations, will the the broader ISO range on the s5200 make up for this difference? I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks - smers
smers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

smers-

I have done a lot of existing light digital camera theater and concert shots. When using a digital camera that is limited to ISO 400 max you should be able to shoot photos, but your shutter speeds will be between 1/15th and 1/25th of a second. When using a digital camera that is limited to a maximum ISO speed of 1600, your shutter speeds under normal stage lighting conditions,your shutter speed will be right around 1/50th or 1/60th. When using a digital camera with a maximum ISO setting of 3200 you will see 1/100th to 1/125th on your shutter speed.

IS does not stop action, higher shutter speeds stop action. IS is designed to compensate for small hand movements by the camera user at lower shutter speeds. When you have action under low light level shooting conditions, such as those shown in the attached photo (handheld, with NO flash at all), what you need more than IS is higher shutter speeds to stop the action and to prevent image blur. Only higher ISO numbers will yield increased shutter speeds, which will stop the action.

IS is available as a componet part of the digital camera bodysuch as you would find in the Canon S-2 IS and the KM 5D and other digital cameras, but IS is also available as a component part of the lenses used on dSLR cameras by such lens makers, as Canon, Nikon and others.

However, in the final analysis, the most beneficial element in getting good low light leveldigital photos, IMHO, is higher ISO settings. IS is nice but, again in my personal opinion, it is a secondary, or nice to have, but NOT absolutely essential feature to get the photo. And getting a good photo is what it is all about.

The attached photo was taken with a Canon 20D using a IS equiped Canon lens at ISO 1600 on purpose because I wanted to convey the swift movements of the dancer. As/If this thread moves forward, I will attach further example photos.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 2:22 AM   #3

Wow, how can you argue with a picture like that!!? Great shot!!

smers,you can't trust IS to(necessarily) preventblurry indoor shots. Having an S2, I can vouch for that. I don't think the S2 could possibly take a shot like the one Sarah posted. The Fuji could probably do it, though (albeit a bit grainy).

High ISO capability has so many advantages, and since you seem concerned about indoor shooting, the s5200 is probably your better bet.

Since you wanted some opinions, I'll briefly mention what I like about the S2...

1) Fast burst mode - great for action shooting

2) Excellent movie mode (if you are taking short duration clips) w/ stereo sound

Off the top of my head, those are the main advantages I can see it having over the S5200. I bought my S2 to shoot soccer games, swin meets, and to take hiking/camping with me. I don't think the Fuji could live up to those particular needs.

Hopefully there will be a review out very soon.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:54 PM   #4

hey guys/gals, thanks so much for your speedy response. Sarah...that photo is spectacular. I have been leaning toward the s5200 almost entirely because of the ISO range up to 1600. I am relatively new to the photography world so your posting helped clairify a few things for me. I am looking forward to soon to be released reviews on the s5200. I think its market date is 9/25/05 so I imagine we will be seeing postings soon. Thanks again guys
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:59 PM   #5

smers-

Please do not hold your breath! It will be well beyond 09/25 before we see the Fuji S-5200 released to the market place.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:13 AM   #6

Why do you say it will be well beyond 09/25 before we will see the S5200? I called Fuji and they said it should be out the second week of October.
BigCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:04 AM   #7

Big CTM-

I was just attempting to convey that it was not a matter of days nor this month.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:54 PM   #8

Amazon has it listed for available on 9/25/05 which coincides with my local "6th Ave" electronic store which say they will be getting it on Tuesday 9/27. Although if Fuji states the "second week of October..." who knows? I guess I will have to continue to be patient.