Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:37 PM   #1

I'm trying hard to learn here, been reading like a nut. My friend (and owner of a 35 mm SLR) says that digital pictures tend to be "flat" and lack dynamic range. In looking at the pictures online, I'm wondering if that is what I'm seeing, or do they look better in person? I read about the Fuji Pro3 (way out of my price range, almost $2 grand), and it claims to have improved dynamic range which the pictures seem to back up. The seaweed in the surfboard pictures looks so real you could eat it! Even my 1st grader can see the difference between the pics with that mode kicked in on that camera.

So my question is, are there affordable cameras (under $1,000) that have good dynamic range? Or is it just a fact of life that they will all look flat?Will the S9000 have better dynamic range? Is it a technology issue? And if it does have better dynamic range, then will others be stepping up to the plate in their upcoming models too? I guess anything you can explain to me about dynamic range would be helpful. I did sort of catch that on the Fuji Pro3 it has to do with mutiple sizes of cells in the sensor as well as "interpolation" (reading both horizontally and vertically?). Do other, non-dslr cameras do that or something similar to improve dynamic range?

Thanks!
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:51 PM   #2

Most cameras that will allow you to set them to use Adobe RGB will have a greater dynamic range than standard RGB. Read more about it here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...hoto-rgb.shtml
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:17 PM   #3

Ok, my head is spinning! How do I tell if a camera can be set to Adobe RGB? And how does that connect to RAW vs. JPEG vs. TIFF?
MyOnly is offline   Reply With Quote