Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:15 PM   #1

Thank you to the members for excellent information - your site provides an excellent resource. I need a new camera for my family that simply needs to be a good carry around camera for kids' sporting events, parties, vacations, etc. I would like to stay with SD storage as I have already invested. My research tells me 4MP is more than enough, especially since most pictures are viewed on the computer or the television. I print pictures once in a while, but never larger than 8X10.

I see that for <$200 online,you can have the Kodak DX 7440, Canon Powershot A520, Nikon Coolpix 4600/5600, and possibly Panasonic Lumix LZ1. I prefer to err on the side of longer battery life, and ease of use, as half the time we forget to replace/recharge the batteries and are left pictureless!!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

jggenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

jggenius-

You might want to take a good look at the Olympus C-5500, which is selling right at $210. It offers a lot of value.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:18 PM   #3

I picked up a casio z-40 for 200 as a carry anywhere camera, its tiny, has incredible battery life, and ok (but not great) image quality. Its built tough, has 3x optical zoom, and 4mp -- the pentax optio 4si is pretty much the same camera.
amicah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:44 AM   #4

The LZ1 doesn't have an optical viewfinder. That would rule it out for me. I don't know if it matters to you. The Kodak Z700 is a very good buy now. It has 5X optical zoom (35-175mm) and uses SD cards. Buydig.com has it for $169.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5

In doing my research I find that I like the way the Z700 looks and the 5x zoom, but the reviews seem only so-so. I guess I need to go get my hands on it and see how it works for my needs. It certainly appears to be good value for the money. Any advice from someone who has actually used one for a while????? Thanks you all for your input.
jggenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:27 PM   #6

Also the Kodak DX-7440 has 4X optical zoom and is selling for around $149 on the internet. It has excellent reviews.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote