Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:47 PM   #1

I am having difficulty deciding which camera would be best for taking pictures indoors and son playing football outdoors. I went to Best Buy and asked and they preferred the Kodak C340, but I didn't know if they worked off commission for selling Kodak. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MICKEYSARK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:40 PM   #2

Mickey-

I am thinking about your son's football games, can you really get by with just 3X optical zoom?

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3

None of Best Buys associates work on commission. In regards to shooting football games, I think you'll find a P&S camera very limiting. Most digicams do poorly in low light/action situations. At the very least, you'll need one with a longer zoom range. In reality, a DSLR is the only way to go. Both Nikon and Minolta offer a lower priced DSLR, the Nikon D50 and Minolta 5D, retailing for under $800.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:44 AM   #4

Thank you for responding. This is my sons last year to play football since he is a senior, so I don't want to spend more than necessary for a camera. My main concern is how my camera will do at Christmas in my living room. I've heard that alot of the digital cameras do poor in low-light, but I don't know if that means in your house or like in a bar that has almost no light. My camera will be mainly used for taking pictures of my kids. Thank you for any suggestions!!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:53 AM   #5

Mickey-

It is my understanding that you want to keep the cost of this camera as low as possible. In low light situations, or even your living room,with a digital camera like we are discussing, the expectation is that you will always be using flash to provide light to take the photo.

Both the Olympus C-5500 which provides a 5X optical zoom and 5mp and the Fuji S-5100 which provides 10X of optical zoom and 4mp would fit your requirements. Please do keep in mind that the sports/action shots would have to be done using daylight because you just cannot project sufficient light from the camera's flash unit beyond 10 feet from the camera. Both of these cameras sell on the internet for less than $275 if you do some shopping.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:22 AM   #6

So maybe you didn't like my answer?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:04 PM   #7

I'm sorry, I'm at work so I'm doing all this research on the side. I will do some research on the ones which you suggested. It's just that there are so many cameras out there, and they are expensive, and I'm really nervous about buying the wrong one!! Thanks a bunch for all your help.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:53 PM   #8

Rinnie-

Mickey really wants to keep the cost low and lack digital experience and confidence. You will note that I reccommended 5X and 10X optical zoom digital cameras. I also cautioned that action/sports photos had to be taken with daylight and flash photos indoors at a distance of 10 feet or less.

Sarah Joyce