Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:12 AM   #1

Here I was all set to buy a Fuji 9000, had all the bits and pieces sorted out then I saw that Panosonic were about to release a new camera the FZ 30 I live in Sydney Australia and as such have not been able to see an FZ 30 in the flesh. My question is how do the 2 cameras compare. The Fuji seems to have a very good CCD while the FZ has image stablisation.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a very confusing situation
:?:?

Regards
John
Shutter Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:23 AM   #2

I don't have thecameras in questions, but from what I have read:

If I wanted as much magnification as possible and were going to take pictures mostly in daylight at ISO 100 and under, I would go for the Panasonic.

If I wanted to be able to take pictures in low light, I would go for the Fuji S9500/9000.

I am sure that other forum members will soon explain why.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:06 PM   #3

Robbo-

That is an excellent analysis. I feel the very same way.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:14 AM   #4

A few other minor differences:

Fuji has semi-proprietary memory and xD cards only up to 512Mb are currently recommended for 640x480/30fps video. (1Gb card is a bit slower)

FZ30 has a proprietary LiON battery which may or may not be easy to replace many years from now...

Panny has a much higher pixel count on its 2" LCD display.

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:15 PM   #5

Shutter Bug wrote:
Quote:
Here I was all set to buy a Fuji 9000, had all the bits and pieces sorted out then I saw that Panosonic were about to release a new camera the FZ 30 I live in Sydney Australia and as such have not been able to see an FZ 30 in the flesh. My question is how do the 2 cameras compare. The Fuji seems to have a very good CCD while the FZ has image stablisation.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a very confusing situation
:??

Regards
John

The big issue of the Panasonic FZ30 seems to be noise, visibleeven in lower ISO's, but unacceptable at 400. Other than that the FZ30 appears to be perfect as far as handling, optics, and features are concerned. The Fuji S9000 excels exactly at the very point which is the Panasonic's weakest: noise. A 1600 ISO image taken by the Fujiis about as noisy as Panasonic's 400 ISO. But then again, it has no image stabilization. I had the same dilemma, and have been looking at those two exact cameras as you. I decided to stick with my Panasonic FZ20 and to wait for a few more months to see what the other brands have to bring to the table in the race for 8MP Ultra Zoom digicam dominance. Ideally Panasonic addresses the noise issue swiftly and it would have no competition currently.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:03 AM   #6

Robbo,
thanks for the reply. I bit the bullitt and bought the 9500. This is one complecated camera which is good and bad. On the good side I like tweaking things to get the best, however, some people just want a point and shoot which the 9500 does as well. As yet I have not done investigations into noise etc. But give me time as this is my first digital camera having film SLR for 30 odd years. My next problem is to find out whether I can use my Canon flash 430EZ with the 9500

Once again thank you for your reply

Regards
John
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:09 AM   #7

Curiousity 54

thankyou for your reply. I bit the bullett and bought the 9500. It is proving a great camera....everything I wanted. As it only came with 16meg XD card I have purchased a 1 gig CF card that will keep me quiet for a while

Once again thankyou for your advice

Regards John
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:13 AM   #8

rduve

thankyou for advice. I bought the 9500 . It is proving to be a marvellous camera, although I have not done any tests with regard to 400 to 1600 iso

Regards
John
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:33 AM   #9

I don't have the S9000 (S9500 where you are). It's not widely available here yet. Mpney is not widely available in my wallet right now either.

You have more photography experience than I did when I got the S7000. I suggest just playing with the camera for awhile. That's the nice thing about digital cameras - "mistakes" are not so expensive usually.

Have a good time with your new camera!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote