Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:25 AM   #1

Hi! I am looking for some opinions about which camera woule be better for me. I am a longterm user and will probably use this camera until it dies on me. Both are an acceptable size although the 550 is just so cute My main concern is image quality. I want a camera that will take the best pictures conistsently in a number of situations so I wont miss shots. I like the idea of the s80's wide angle lens, but wonder if that will make that much of a difference. I plan on using this camera mostly asa snapshot camera for everyday/vacation use, but I would say I am more than just a beginning photographer. I greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!
suncouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2

Hi suncouch,

I am considering the same two cameras, but I have decided to wait until the reviews are posted by professionals and everyday users before making a firm decision. I am leaning toward the S80 for its wide angle lens and manual controls, but the deal breakers for me will be image quality and battery life, in that order. The SD550 is no doubt another excellent choice, but it lacks the wide angle lens and real manual controls. Nevertheless, if the S80 produces noisy photos then I will forget about wide angle and go with the SD550. But until the reviews are posted, I am sitting tight and holding on to my $$$.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your thoughts
suncouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator

if you are looking to learn, and are already more than a beginning photographer.. you will be happier with the available manual controls and wide angle lens on the s80.. this is definately a camera that you can grow into.. with the digic II chip, i expect noise to be handled quite efficiently despite the 8mp sensor..

i am primarily a dslr user, and use an sxx series as my daily companion.. i couldnt be happier with the controls and the image quality.. it is a great compliment to me 20d.. i expect much of the same from the newer model (though i am upset by lack of RAW and SD vs CF media, but i doubt that is a concern for you)...

best of luck to you both, -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:16 PM   #5

How would the S60 compare with these other two choices...?
guitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:23 PM   #6
Super Moderator

well, its 5mp versus the 8mp on the s80.. but it does offer RAW support and CF media, which is important to me, but may or may not be for you.. 5mp is really quite good.. and with a high quality camera such as the s60, you can get nice 13x19 prints if you make a good shot, which can be even further enhanced shooting in RAW and making a good conversion.. the s60 is still quite a capable camera and imo is one of the better values out there, as i expect the prices to drop with the intro of the s80..

i shoot the s50, which is alot like the s60, though lacking the 28mm lens and a few other things, but i have made some very nice prints with this up to 13x19.. and even better is its a great companion for my primary camera (20d)..
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:33 PM   #7

What is RAW and does the S60 have it...sorry but most of this is new to me.I will beĀ* using the camera for vacation, internet posting, general photography, that is about it. I have now it seems ruled it down to the Canon SD500 or 550, the S60, maybe the nikon 7900 (but I don't really think so ) and the sony 150 or 200, but I cannot really get good info on them. The reviews are mixed and shops are not hot on this item, I don't know what gives. So right now I am favoring one of the Canon cameras.Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

oh sorry... RAW is basically an unprocessed image format.. so you can shoot in either RAW or jpg.. jpg is a compressed format in which the camera processes it.. so the camera sharpens the image, boosts contrast, color saturation, etc then it compresses it into jpg.. in RAW, the camera does none of that, so then later, you do all of that processing on your own on your computer.. and yes, the s60 does have RAW..since this is just your first camera, i doubt that RAW capabilities will bea big factor for you..

the things you will need to consider is what your plans are for the future.. if you plan on only taking snapshots and never learning the manual controls and such, then you are probably better off with the sd500/550 type camera.. if you plan on learning to use the manual controls and furthering your interest in photography.. the s60 will give you the manual controls you need in order to learn to use them.. also a consideration is what you will be shooting, if you plan on doing a lot of landscape and cityscape type shots, the s60 boasts a wider-angle lens to give you the perspective you need for these *scape type shots..
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:45 PM   #9

Hards80,Ā*I have gone through the gambit of cameras in my time, but I have decided that a good digital will be very useful to me as I now realize that I don't have an many good options for processing, that many of the shots should not be processed. I love landscapes and like the 28 on the S60. I currently shoot with a contax TVSll as well as a contax T3 having sold my SLR and rangefinders a few years back. I am not sure about the manual controls but I think theĀ* S60 gives me the option of using automatic or overriding, if I am correct...So while I think the 28mm lens is a nice options, I want a camera that will be easy to use as well as deliver really nice pics.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:23 PM   #10
Super Moderator

you can use the s60 in full automatic just as any of the others... if you are into landscapes, this one gets my recommendation for you for its 28mm lens!!