Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:58 PM   #1

Hi,

I am in the Midst of finally getting a digital camera. ( way overdue!!) Really would appreciate your suggestions on a good camera...

Prioritys: Has to have a good zoom ( way over 3x) Scenic, games etc.

Good Macro capibilities, and Very Important- 2-2.5 LCD screen for sure since I can't see these 1.5 to 1.8 sizes!!I would like something that has Manual capabilites, not just Point/Shoot since I see myself even though I am new at this, being able to adjust things on a Manual basis.. Budget- up to $500.00.... I would like to have this camera for a while and grow into it!!!
markstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2

The Sony CyberShot DSC H1 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC F20 and F5 are three cameras that meet your stated requirements. You should keep in mind that you will need a memory cardin addition to the camera as it ships from the manufacturer, and may well want at least a camera bag, too. So, if $500 is your max budget, you should plan on $100 being reserved for these. If you want a tripod, an external flash,and/or a spare battery, adjust the base camera cost accordingly. But you should be able to get a setup that will get you startedhappily within your budget.FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:10 PM   #3

Funny you should mention those two.. They are exactly the ones I have been really checking out. I've been leaning twards the Panasonic but I like the new FZ30. with adjustable LCD screen etc.......
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4

If you think you can pick up a FZ30 and a minimum sized 512Mb high speed SD card on a budget of $500 I wish you luck. A 1Gig card holds only 11 minutes of best quality movies and at 4Mb per 8Mp shot I think a Gig is a better choice there as well. Even with a 1 Gig card you get only 54 raw shots – very inefficient raw mode.

If you want to stay within that budget the FZ20 is probably your best bet. The movie mode and control setup aren't as good as the FZ30, but you have better light gathering at full zoom and dpreview thought the stabilization wasn't as good on the FZ30. Those two items combined give you better limited light capability at telephoto. And the FZ30 is especially noisy. You can get a FZ20 for $400 including shipping and a 512Mb card would probably be plenty.

The FZ20 would come in at almost $200 cheaper with brand name high speed cards for both that are of sufficient size. There has been debate on the card speed required for the FZ20, but the FZ30 definitely requires ahigh speed card. Unless you intend making very large prints 5Mp is plenty.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5

Yes, I figured if I went with the 30 it was going to bump things up a bit. I am new to digital Cameras and maybe I am asking for a bit much with the FZ 30.. I do like the multi positional LCD screen and from what I hear it makes for a better display as well vrs. the 20.. Once you get the extras though I can see the cost dif.. I just wonder if it is worth it ....
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6

Forgot to ask, what would be a good choice for a Brand Name High Speed Card for this? Also- what speed???

Best places to Purchase and would it be adivisable for an Extended Warrenty??? Really appreciate the Feedback!!!!
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:43 AM   #7

Thinking of getting this from either Beach Camera or Buydig.... Any comments on these??? Also, I was seeing that they have a 1 gig "Dane" card for this .. Is that a good brand???

BTW- Leaning twards the FZ30 since I have a bit more funds to play with... Is it worth it to buy the extended warrenty on this ( 5 yr. I believe)???? I must say I like the feel of the Camera!!!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:22 PM   #8

It's always a good idea to check the ratings of an on-line store from some place like BizRate.com, http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...t_id--402.htmlwill get you to their digital camera stores listing.

My sense is that on-line stores have gotten worse in recent times, so I would always check the more recent ratings and trouble reports. I have begun to shy away from stores I haven't already done business with because of how slimy many of the stores are becoming. For what it's worth, I did business with Beach Camera about a year and a half ago, and was pleased by the experience.

I would worry about inexpensive SD cards. They don't tend to fail -- they're just a lot slower than you want them to be. If you're thinking of video or burst-mode imaging, that will be an important factor (video cuts out after a few seconds because of slow writes, burst mode is so slow between images you might as well click the shutter individually). I would opt for the SanDisk Ultra II or the Panasonic SD cards personally. They are well-regarded, and not that much more expensive than less well-regarded cards.

One thing that seems to be a real problem with low-cost camera stores on-line is that they sell the peripherals for a lot more money than is warranted. Be wary on these purchases.

As to extended warrantees, I did not get one on my FZ20, It comes with a positively crappy warrantee -- 90 days, IIRC. I considered getting an extended warrantee, but the ones I saw offered were from third parties. My comfort level is not high on warrantees anyway -- they are real profit centers for those selling them, which is why they are pushed so hard. And, if I have to deal with a warrantee company I've never heard of on top of my general misgivings about this business, my pain threshold is exceeded. If my camera breaks, I'll wish I'd taken a chance on the extended warrantee. But I really wish that Panasonic would provide the Canadian warrantee for its US customers (1 year),
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:46 PM   #9

Someone here mentioned "Kingmax " 512mb HS 60x cards going for under $30.00 at Newegg...... Sounds interesting!!!

Question- Should I just figure on buying the camera with the basics and then say getting a Case ( which I would prefer) and HS card Seperately? I've also heard that sometimes it's more benificial to get say- (2) 512 HS cards vrs. a 1mb. card so if one is bad you have a backup etc..

Thanks for all the advise everyone!!!!!