Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1

Hi all... been following the fourms for years, just lurched around and never posted. I just dropped my Sony W5 and it is no longer functional =( But on a brighter note I get to go shopping again! I loved my W5 but I am considering the W7 and the H1 (all Sony). My question is, is it better to go with higher res or a decent res with the super zoom of the H1? Thanks for your advice!
mossman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:37 PM   #2

Well I'm far from an expert but I think it all depends on what you want to do with the camera or what it will be used for primarily.

Personally, I'd go for zoom (with stabilization). Unless you plan on printing large photos often (8x10 or greater) or submitting them for publication, etc. there is really no need for most consumers to go above 3 or 4 MPs.. and 5 is pretty much the standard now.
photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3

mossman! wrote:
Quote:
Hi all... been following the fourms for years, just lurched around and never posted. I just dropped my Sony W5 and it is no longer functional =( But on a brighter note I get to go shopping again! I loved my W5 but I am considering the W7 and the H1 (all Sony). My question is, is it better to go with higher res or a decent res with the super zoom of the H1? Thanks for your advice!
IF you are willing to pay the weight & size penalty and/or carry a tripod, go for a big zoom. Alternatively get a smaller, lighter camera with lots of pixels (I've just got a 7Mp Casio EX-Z750), and use the pixels for zooming in, preferably later on, on your computer, but in-camera using digital zoom if you have to. If you get a little camera that goes in your pocket, you're more likely to have it with you when the 'once-in-a-lifetime' shot comes along.

Good shooting,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:10 AM   #4

Actually,Idon't feel I pay much size/weight penalty with my Canon 5MP 12X (S2 IS). And its image stabilization means I can hand-hold the lens at hoigh powerin good light. The big zoom really helps to compose a pic, and lets me shoot from a less intrusive position for ive. There are (at least?) two other 5MP 12X EVF cameras, with similar specs but different personalities.

--Steve

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:45 PM   #5

Thanks for your recommendations guys... I have decided on the W7... it is on sale at Future Shop next week for $80 off! I will then likely get the 2.6 zoom lens add on for the supper zoom, although I do realize it will take a steady hand to avoid the blur. This way I have the high megapixels for cropping, a small camera for portability, and the ability to get the big zoom!
mossman! is offline   Reply With Quote