Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one do you like best?!
Canon A620 6 60.00%
Fuji E900 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:14 AM   #1

After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that two DC's fit my demands. The new Canon A620 and the Fuji E900. The problem is that I can't choose! Can anyone help me make the right choice?!

(Or did I forget a good alternative for these cams?!)
MvdSchaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

I don't thinkthe Canon A620offers RAW images.

That would be the deciding point for me (apart froma fewextra mega pixelsfrom the Fuji).

I won't be upgrading my Canon S40 for an S80 for the same reason.
AgentX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:06 AM   #3

The A620 seems to be a marvelous camera for mid-level candi-snappers like me to folks who like to carry a tripod around. I've seen some great images on the web, and I have experienced the camera for several days. If you are looking for something you can actually carry everywhere in your shirt pocket, something that has a wealth of manual controls, many scene modes, versatile program mode, and good video features, the A620 fits the bill. There is no raw mode, but I really don't think that's a drawback for people who want a pocketable camera. Both Canon and Nikon, along with a bunch of others, have great DSLRs for the serious photographers, and you can get all the raw mode you want for a reasonable price. But I dare you to try putting a D70 in your shirt pocket. The A620 is well laid out. The swivel LCD is solid and terrific. The buttons are well spaced and logical. The menus are easy and quick. Shot-to-shot is very, very fast (I estimate less than 1 second). Shutter lag is less than minimal. Color is fantastic right out of the camera. The lens is fast, and focusing (set to center square) is spot on. The flash has decent range for such a small camera (about 15 feet at wide angle). ISO400 noise is well controlled. There just aren't many downsides for this thing, especially when it only cost me $344 with free shipping. I like it a lot.
old-not-wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:00 AM   #4

You've made agreat casefor theCanon A620. The question is whether or not the Fuji E900 is better.

The attraction of both is that they're pocketable. The best DSLRis useless if its bulkiness means you don't have it with you.

I think all decent digital cameras should offer RAW output. One of the great things about digital capture is lossless copy. If you can only get compressed images out you've lost this.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:39 AM   #5

I like RAW mode, if I have the lense, the tripod, and the time to make use of it. But I don't do that so much anymore. I almost never use a tripod, as I suspect is the case for most compact camera users. So we are down to handheld shots. Occasionally you really nail one, when the light is really good and the shutter speed is fast enough. But generally, I think you lose so much detail handholding a camera that RAW data won't do much good. I could be wrong, but that's my take. It's like choosing a film for a SLR. Why use high dollar stuff at the playground when you are lucky to get 50% good shots of the kids, and you are using a 10 to 10,000mm zoom lens? On the other hand, when you go out in the desert with your tripod and some fine prime lenses, you want the best stuff you can get. You want film that can take advantage of good equipment. The lens on the A620 is really good for a compact camera. But you don't have to spend a ton more to get a lens that will put it to shame. And anyone looking for something they can really work with in RAW data is probably going to want a lens that can give them really good control and results. With a 1/1.8 CCD, the A620 is not going to give you a lot to play with in terms of DOF, and that point alone takes the camera out of the running for the really serious hobbiest, except as a second camera for running around town.
About the Fuji, I don't know. I gave the Fuji (I think the model was V500) a good look before buying the A620. The lens was a lot slower, and for handheld shooting you need all the lens you can afford. The Fuji I looked at was some cheaper, about the price of the A610, and it was 6mp. And it had a RAW mode, although dpreview said the RAW mode was useless. The Canon had advantages like AA batteries, a relatively fast lens, better shutter speed range, and better data processor. It was an easy choice for me. But hopefully someone with the E900 will share what they think are its strong points.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:28 PM   #6

Howdy people! I just stumbled onto this forum/topic after a Google search. I am also considering the same two cameras, and was intrigued by the fact that someone else has zoomed in and focused (puns intended) on the same two cameras that I am considering. My first digital camera was the S300 which I bought a few years ago and have enjoyed, but with the realization that I have stopped using the A1 SLR that I have owned for more than twenty years, I decided to look for a more serious digital camera. I was interested in manual controls, low-light capability, and in the time interval between successive shots. After doing a little research I was keen on the E900 and anxious to get my hands on one. But today I was in a store and picked up the A620, and I liked it so much that I might go ahead an buy it and not wait for the E900.

The two cameras seem very comparable overall, but the A620 seems to be a much better bargain. I'm not concerned with the lack of a raw mode, because with the lowest compression level that either camera should offer for jpeg, the size of the file should be at least as large as it would be using a non-lossy compression format, and in that case, the loss of information should be altogether negligible. Professionals would probably disapprove of a lossy compression scheme on principal, but it doesn't matter to me, and if it did, I would probably not be looking at these two cameras.

It occurs to me that a significant difference between the two cameras may be the quality of the image captured under low light. I believe that the Fuji will allow you to set the ISO number, but that doesn't guarantee that it will produce better images at, say, ISO 400, than will the A620. In fact, the business of setting the ISO value on a digital camera is a little curious to me, but as I have thought about it, what it seems to do is to give an alternative to full manual control, since, by example, when you user shutter speed priority, the ISO setting will determine the aperture relative to the shutter speed that you select and relative to the intensity of the light from the subject. I do not know if the A620 will even allow you to set the ISO, but if it doesn't, all that means, I think, is that you will have less control over the aperture when using shutter priority, and less control over the shutter speed when using aperture priority. It would not seem sensible for me to want to select the sensor sensitivity when using a fully automatic mode. So, if in fact the A620 does not permit manual selection of the ISO number, I'm not concerned with that, but what I am interested in knowing more about, is how the image quality at low light compares between the two cameras. Because the sensor used in the E900 is also used in some of the Fuji models already available, it may be possible to find a comparison between other models by Canon and Fuji that will, uh, shed light on that question.

One alternative that intriques me is the Fuji F11, which was announced very recently, and is evidently going to be the F10 but with manual controls. If it was to be available right away, I would probably prefer it because of the more compact size, but it will not be available until the end of November, and I am in the mood to buy a new camera right away.

If anyone else has any thoughts on the points that I have discussed, especially the concern with low-light image quality and the benefits of being able to select the ISO number, I will sincerely appreciate those thoughts, since I am looking for more enlightenment on these points.

Thanks,

Kaiser Soze
kaiser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:45 PM   #7

I can help you with the info you are looking for, regarding the A620 only. You can manually set the ISO to 50, 100, 200, and 400 or AUTO. You can adjust flash exposure up and down, and you can set white balance any way you like. All of these settings, along with image quality, image size, metering mode, etc., are available by pressing the center button in that 4-way assembly, and they are easy to change quickly, so you don't have to fumble around very long if you see a particular shot that you want. For indoor shots at places like WalMart, which is well lit, your photos look like outdoor shots. But with 60 watt lamp light at your home you will need support (maybe a hand rest) for ISO 400 shots. I like the quality, but I understand the Fuji F10 is pretty much the king of this kind of photo for small cameras.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:26 PM   #8

The E900

9 megapixels

AA Batteries

Camera Raw

Less bulky

Probably my choice.
wine540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:06 PM   #9

Still waiting toread an independent expert review of the Fuji e900. I see Jessops are selling it for £329.99 in the UK. Cheaper than I expected - though not as good as US prices of course.

I favour it (until I read something todisuade me) for thereasons Wine540gave. (Athough I notice the Canon A620 also uses AA batteries - not those annoyingproprietory rechargeables my Canon requires.)

Also I see, althoughthe Fujitakes the new XD-Picture card storage, it includes a slot for Compact Flash - so I can still use my 2.2GB Magicstor Microdrive

I think the notion that a compact doesn't require professional spec. features such as RAW output is misguided. Some of us don't want or can't afford two cameras.Just because it's compact doesn't mean I won'tfrequently use a tripod and try to squeeze the maximum resolution out of it. Your camera shouldn'tforce you tothrow image quality away - particularly now storage card capacity is so good.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:30 PM   #10

Hello guys,

I've been following this forum. I've previosly studied the specs of the A620 and just compared with the E900. I will point out some differences.

One thing i like in the A620 is that the macro min. focus is 1cm which can get you pretty close to tiny things. Macro is one of the things i like in a camera. Personally i prefer having a better macro thantheRAW feature. The E900 min macro focus is 7.5cm.

Presonally i dont like a pop out flash (E900).

A620 has manual focus.

Max shutter speed A620 1/2500, E900 1/2000

A620 has flip out and twist screen.

If they can give similar performance with one charge, E900 is better coz it needs only 2 AAs. A620 needs 4 AAs.

The A620 is obviosly bulkier than the E900. So one more to the fuji.

A620 - 105 x 66 x 49 mm (4.1 x 2.6 x 1.9 in)

E900 - 102 x 63 x 34 mm (4 x 2.5 x 1.3 in)

E900 is also lighter.

E900 also has ISO800 which the cannon doesnt.

Overall i prefer the cannon as regards to specs. Perfermance wise i would have to try them both to really know.

Hope this was helpful
Debole is offline   Reply With Quote