Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:06 PM   #1

I curently have an canon SD300 and had a s410 before that. I love the small size and canons picture quality is superb. What I would really like to have is the SD550 with MPEG4 video. SImilar size and image quality with MPEG4 Video.

Is there anything else that comes close now, or in the near future. The casios (S500, z750) seem to have crap image quality compared to the canon, like alot of noise. The sanyo Xacti E6 looks pretty sweet with its 3 inch screen, but no reviews on the web yet so cant judge the image quality. Any ideas folks?

Many Thanks........
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:11 AM   #2

Are you sure you want MPEG from the camera? The good thing about MPEG, of course, is that you can fit longer sequences on the same size card. But the bad thing is that you reallycan't edit it. MPEG just falls apart if you do. The MJPEG on the SD300 will give you sequences that you can edit at reasonable compression.

Of course, you need video editing software if you're going to do this, but I have always found that video needs a LOT more editing (both the video and the sound track) than still shots do. And, you'll probably want to add titles and transitions into them. MPEG is a great format for the final product, but is is terrible before that. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3

I am using adobe premier so editing software is not an issue. I am rally just looking for the longer record times. With a 2 gb card on the SD300 your only looking at 15 min total times. I would love to have 45+ min for sports action (videoing my ski runs) It just seems that ll the cameras I have looked at with mpg4 such as the casios, kodakv550 etc seem to have image quality that pales to the canon. If they would add mpeg4 with the same image sensor as they currently use, i would be in heaven.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4

Then I would urge you to get a few MPEG-4 clips and try editing them and combining them in your software. Maybe you won't be disappointed in the results, but I have never seen an edited MPEG file that I thought was tolerable. Indeed, I tend to find the unedited image quality less than ideal -- with either MPEG or MJPEG. Add in the degradation from editing and recompressing, and the MPEG stuff is just unwatchable to my eye.

Of course, I don't really use still camera video at all. I use a camcorder for this kind of thing, which allows me to shoot hours of footage and then spend many hours editing it into something that I want to watch (and listen to -- the sound track is almost always the bigger hassle). I'm probably just not as good at this sort of thing as most, but I find that I need all the footage I can get, with all the quality I can muster, in order to end up with anything worth seeing after spendingat leasta couple of hours per minute on editing the shaky raw material that I get. After all is said and done, maybe it's just my lack of skill.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote