Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1

Rebel XT
what u think about canon 20D . Or even Nikon ??
You folks tell me what u think ..

thanks

janey
janey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Moderator Note:

This thread was moved to the What Camera Should I Buy? Forum

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:14 PM   #3

The Canon Digital Rebel XT, 20D and Nikon D70s are all truly great cameras, which will give you excellent images. It honestly is a tough decision. I'd rank the XT and D70s equal (they are so close, some rate the XT above the D70s and some the D70s above the XT)and the 20D a step above.

For $2000, I would buy the20D/17-85 kit that Canon has available. This would give you a great combo and I mean great. The kit is available for between $1800-$2000 depending on where you look. You can also get that lens with the XT in akit for around $1400. Either way, I'dpurchase a 1 or 2 GBSandisk Ultra II card and you'd be set. If you know you're going to want atelephoto zoom, the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro is a great piece of glass for around $200.

The kit lens with the D70s is great also, it's probably the most ideal starter lens for a digital body.

What sounds good to you?

20D with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and CF card. around $2000

Rebel XT with EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro and CF card. around $1700

Nikon D70s with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro and CF card. around $1500

Naturally, lens-wise, there are a bunch more options. If you want to know what they are, I'd be glad to tell you. Just ask.

Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

I like digital cameras..I havebeen usingthem since the early days on the 1990's but the cost of them has always been an issue. This is why I have both film cameras AND digital cameras.

For $2000 you can buy a heck of a film camera system...far beyond anything you could get with digital. So for the same money, you can get a higher quality camera system.

In general, a digital camera costs about 4x what the film equivalent costs so, with the money you save, you can get better lenses than the mediocre kit lens that comes with dSLRs.

I'm not saying that digital is bad...but it will take an enormous drop in price before I would consider giving up my film SLRs for a dSLR because I don't want to step back to a more primitive, less-featured camera system just to get an LCD on the back.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5

SlapNTickleJr wrote:
Quote:
Naturally, lens-wise, there are a bunch more options.
And don't forget the Pentax Ist, the Konica-Minolta, and the 4/3 system with Olympus.
I'm partial to Oly, since they have superb optics and probably the best jpeg colors (YMMV); at any rate, don't limit yourself to considering the C and N models alone. There are other potentials out there that are fine. All these cameras will take great pictures--the real issues lie elsewhere.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:20 PM   #6

Yup, Pentax, KM, and Olympus are great too! I've shot with the 7D and 5D, the DS and DL, and the E-1 and E-300for a day each with their respective kit lensesand love them all. I'm excited to get my hands on the E-500, it looks so cool and the controls look so familiar (Rebel XT).
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:39 AM   #7

Do a quick price comparison using a few of the reputable on-line dealers...say B&H or Adorama. Be sure to remember that for the price of a Canon XT & one IS lens, you will be able to buy a KM 7D & 2-3 lenses (you are also not locked into one lens manufacturer & all will be image-stabilized, for that matter). That isn't even considering the 5D (this is only because I did a pricing check on the very same items a few months ago).

YMMV depending on the vendors, but http://www.digitalfotoclub.com, http://www.newegg.com & http://www.buy.com are worth considering too...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:09 PM   #8

I always take flack for this, but decide carefully which "system" you want to invest in.

For instance, if you buy a Canon, you could then someday buy another Canon a few years down the road, and hopefully still be able to use your Canon lenses.

Some manuifacturers, like Minolta, make very very few digital SLR's, so you better be happy with the Minolta you have now, as there may not be a satsifcatory Minolta to upgrade to in the future. Then your stuck with a large investment in Minolta lenses that are of no use to you.

My advice is stick with Nikon or Canon. The Nikons are better sports shooting cameras, as they have flash synchro up to 1/500th.

Canons are better all round photography cameras, in my opinion.

If you invest in Canon or Nikon lenses, you will likely be able to re-use them when your ready to upgrade to the latest and greatest digital SLR in a few years time.

To me, Minolta and Pentax represent somewhat of a photographic "dead end".

Thats my opinioin, and I expect a few replies from Minolta users (anti-shake), Pentax users (lots of used lenses out there) and whoever else.

However, no one I know has regretted buying a Canon or a Nikon. Personally I shoot with Canon, and other than the slow flash synchronization, I have nothign but rave reviews for the Canon. My next camera after the 20D will likely be another Canon.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote