Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

hi! help me understand what i get for the extra $100.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"background: i have a minolta dimagex 2.1 which is gettting worn and the screen is tiny

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i used an sd300 on a trip and was pretty happy with it, got my heart set on buying an sd400 but didn't because the screen wasn't as big as some others out there...

now the sd450 has arrived, but i see the digimax for a lot less with mpeg4 seemingly offering much much more video time than the format on the canon... i have read the posts about mpeg4 being difficult to edit and can deal with that... no problem i doubt i'll be editing..

so, why the more money for the canon? thanks to all for your thoughts, lm
lm67226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:24 AM   #2

If you have not made your decision, stay away from the Samsung i5. Why its cheaper? perhaps cause its not in the same league as the big timers? I am not sure.

I bought the i5 and still have not been able to get anyone to buy it from me at a bargain. Its a horrible camera. Here are my problems with the camera:

- Red eye Reduction does not work !!
- No Tripod mount
- Shutter Lag - unusable for taking pictures of moving objects. By the time the picture is taken, the object is a mile away.
- SF feature which won the Innovation award: well, without a tripod mount and pushing up the ISO slightly, u better have very very stiff hands. I havent gotten one good picture from that function.
- Extremely fragile LCD. Somehow managed to get my cracked LCD camera replaced.

MPEG 4 is great feature. But don't get the Samsung for it. I'd strongly recommend the Kodak V550 is MPEG4 feature is a must. There is nothing difficult about editing MPEG4 movies. Easily converted to MPEG 1 with so many different softwares out there.

Or the Canon that you are looking at. But the ultimate P&S camera is Fujifilm F10. Or the Panasonic FX8 or FX9.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3

arvind thanks for your note and i am sorry for your trouble, since writing mh post i have been looking and looking and the panasonic you mention or the fuji which has a just announced f-11 model with full manual have been looking good to me... neither appears to have mpeg4... also looking at the casio zx750 but many problems reported there too

one note on the canon sd450- i had one in my hands yesterday and noticed that the new switch they have configured to switch between camera, video, and playback felt awfully flimsy and cheap... just my two cents

lenny

redondo beach, ca
lm67226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4

Lenny,

Just wondering if you had a look at the Kodak V550. Owners of it swear by its quality. REason I mentioned it is that it has MPEG-4. FujiF10 is dropping in price due to the F11 release in November. Some extra features I read. But really not sure how much more different. It would still be 6.3MP. I believe F10 is the best bang for the buck. Again only if MPEG4 is not a concern. On the Fuji F10 and I believe Panasonic would be the same is that you get Approx 3 minutes of video on 256 Megabytes SD. Using MPEG-4, that converts to about 14 minutes. So an hour for a 1 Gig card. If video is what you want with your camera, then I think V550 is the best!. Good quality pictures with good video mode. Canon are nice cameras. The SD series. But better to get a Fuji or Panasonic then...cause of Fuji's 1600ISO low noise pictures and Panasonics Image Stabilization.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:02 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote