Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:38 AM   #1

Hi, i'm looking for good P&S camera thatgives good shots and resolve shaky hands issue.After going through tons of reviews, i have shortlisted the Fujifilm F10 and Panasonic FX9. Iknow about the Fujifilm F10 high ISO capabilities and the Panasonic FX9 image stabilizer that solvesshaky hands issues.

My big question is that are the capabilities of these two cameras the same? The high ISO capabilities of the F10 allow good low light shots but i understand that the FX9 also has the same feautures. Can't really decide which is better. Opinions from user of both cameras will be a great help. TKS!!!!!!
armaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:57 AM   #2

The FX9's ISO capability tops out at ISO400, while the F10 adds ISO 800 and 1600 - a considerable difference.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

ok. tks. seems like the F10 could just possibly edge out the FX9.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:44 AM   #4

Check out this short review. Besides high ISO capability, the noise level on the F10 is remarkable, more in league with a SLR than a point and shoot.

http://ojlise.blogspot.com/
peterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:15 PM   #5

OK. Seems like the F10 is in a class of its own.Last question...does the high ISO capabilities of the F10 also works as a kind of 'anti -shake' mechanism?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:19 PM   #6

Anti-shake or image stabilization becomes important at slow shutter speeds. This is usually the case in low light conditions. To make up for the lack of light, one has to increase the time the shutter stays open, i.e. lower shutter speed or use some sort of mechanical stabilization, such as a tripod.

Another way to achieve similar results is to increase the cameras sensitivity to light, by increasing the ISO. This enables a higher shutter speed and thus prevention of blur images due to camera shake. So you could think of high ISO and an anti-shake mechanism or rather a way to enable higher shutter speeds to prevent shakes in the first place.

Well then, what is the disadvantage of higher ISO? These are no free lunch, even with ISO. Increasing ISO means increased noise. Our goal is to use as low ISO as we can get away with. If we have fast moving objects, low light conditions, etc, the trade off is some noise or blur images.

High-end cameras handle high ISO much better. Canon's latest SLRs are very good at suppressing noise even at high ISO. Images in point and shoot cameras on the other hand become unpleasantly noisy even at ISO 200 and practically useless at ISO 400, their max ISO.

Fuji's F10 is therefore clearly breaking new ground by enabling one to take very acceptable pictures at ISO 1600. This opens up a whole new avenue that previously only belonged to the SLRs.
http://ojlise.blogspot.com/
peterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:46 PM   #7

Just got news that F11 wil be out sometime in November. An improved version of the F10 including certain manual controls!!!! My choice is very clear now!