Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:47 AM   #1

It is with a heavy heart that I must replace my Olympus D-510 camera. After a short battle with "camera lens retracts just when you try to take a picture" disease, it finally succumbed to the "memory card? *I* don't see a memory card!" syndrome. A moment of silence please.. <insert mournful trumpet playing "taps" here>

SOooo... Now I'm looking for advice on replacing this camera with something comparable in reliability, ease of use and (most importantly) no funky new memory card format that is incompatible with all my existing readers! I can read SD/MMC, Compact Flash, SmartMedia, and Sony Memory Stick. <rant>For cryin out loud *why* do they need to keep making new card formats!?!</rant>.

So, what say you great guru's of the camera scene...? I need a family friendly point & shoot camera that gives good quality photos indoors and out, is light weight, durable enough to be used on occasion by my 9yr old, can fit in my wife's purse, and has sufficient resolution to allow any memorable pics to survive being printed on 8x10 media for framing for the grandparents... Does such a beast exist??

Ilusion
Austin, Texas

PS: I do an annual Haunted House, so great night shot capability would be a bonus
IlusionSYSOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

hmmm... Anyone?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:27 AM   #3

After using my new A620 for a few days I'm telling everyone how great it is, and I guess that's what a lot of people with new toys do. But it really is a great camera for a great price. The A610, if you want 5mp instead of 7, is an even better deal. The camera would make a great family shooter. It is small, yet easy to handle for me, I'm 6-2, and it is feature rich. It is very, very fast, and it is easy to use. The lens is just excellent for such a little guy. You can go from fully manual to fully auto or anywhere in between. The video is really good. You can carry it in your shirt pocket, if you don't mind a bulge. It uses AA batteries, so you are never very far from more power if you run out. I really don't think you can do any better in this price range.
old-not-wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:15 PM   #4

old-not-wise wrote:
Quote:
After using my new A620 for a few days I'm telling everyone how great it is, and I
guess that's what a lot of people with new toys do. But it really is a great camera for a great price. The A610, if you want 5mp instead of 7, is an even better deal. The camera would make a great family shooter. It is small, yet easy to handle for me, I'm 6-2, and it is feature rich. It is very, very fast, and it is easy to use. The lens is just excellent for such a little guy. You can go from fully manual to fully auto or anywhere in between. The video is really good. You can carry it in your shirt pocket, if you don't mind a bulge. It uses AA batteries, so you are never very far from more power if you run out. I really don't think you can do any better in this price range.
Are you referring to the Cannon Powershot A610/620? Where did you get yours? I've done some searches for this model on Bestbuy.com and a couple other consumer electronic stores and it doesn't seem to a be a regular stock item. Also, what memory media does it use? Thanks for your response!

Ilusion
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5

Yes, powershot A620. I got it for $344 at buy.com, (with $15 coupon). Ordered last Saturday and they shipped Monday the 26th. Free shipping, so didn't get it until Friday morning.
old-not-wise is offline   Reply With Quote