Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1

I am currently looking to upgrade from my Nikon coolpix 8700 to either the Nikon D70s or the Canon 20D. They both seem like great cameras, but time and time again I see the 20D refered to as an advanced dslr, while the D70 is described as a camera for Amateurs or beginners. I am currently a college student, so the price gap between the two is somewhat big. However, if the 20D were to truly work that much better, I would have no problem saving up a little extra. Im not worried about ease of use, size, or anything such as that, just which one will keep me satisfied while im still in school and take a better shot (2 or so years). I live in atlanta so most of the pictures I take are not exactly action shots, mostly buildings and people, but I do ocassionaly go to race tracks or college football games to take pictures (something that the 8700 wasnt great at).

I am somewhat torn, I have always used nikons, and havent had a single problem, but from what I read the 20D seems to truly be a much better camera.

Also, I dont plan to purchase this camera right away, probablly at the first of next year. From what I understand canon doesnt have anything planned to be in the price range I am looking at, but is there any news of Nikon releasing a camera that is a little closer to the quality of the 20D?

Thanks a lot, I have been reading the forums a lot lately and learning something new everyday.
pwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2

You might be better off comparing the D70s with the DRebel 350XT (both are aimed at the same beginner DSLR market). I also think you will find the DRebel has most of the functionality & performance of the 20D, without the higher price tag.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:21 PM   #3

20D price is going down everywhere... or should go ... with the 5D now entering the market.

I guess the 20D won't be worth a lot in 12-18 months when every dSLR will feature a full-size sensor as the 5D does.

Whichever solution you choose, do not spend too much as dSLR are not (yet or more?) a sound investment.

First, dSLRs are still not a mature product. If you buy the 350D (Rebel XT) or 20D from Canon, what will be worth your "investment" in2-3 years? Canon just launchedthe 5D (full-size sensor) that will quickly be the norm in dSLRs? Nobody will want a 350D or 20D in 2-3 years.In Europe, Canon is offering cash-back on the 20D. If you go with a 350D, you don't waste too much money away.

Secondly, dSLRs are already challenged and will be even more challenged byAll-in-One (also called Prosumers, Point & Shoot,Bridges).

See the Fuji S9000 w. 28-300 focal range, manual zoom ring, 1600 ISO. See the Sony R-1 w. full-size sensor (not the case of Canon 350D, 20D or Nikno D50/D70) and better lens than on these dSLRs.

Features/price ratio of All-in-Ones is much more advantageous than low-end dSLRs.

If you go for a reasonable budget, you won't make a really bad investment.

Rather than forking out $2000 today, you will spend your money more wisely by spending $1000 today and $1000 in 3 years.

In 6 years time, in 2011, you will be more happy with the 2nd camera, 2008 model purchased for $1000, rather than with a 2005 model purchased for $2000.

I apply this rule for constantly changing high-tech products. Once digital cameras become a mature market, you could go higher-end and still making a good investment, which was the case with film SLRs for a long time, before digital appeared...

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:56 PM   #4

The Rebel XT, D70s and 20D are all great cameras. The XT and D70s are "equal" cameras, were the 20D is a step above. The 20D definately is a lot more "pro" than the other two. I have the XT, but only purchased it over the 20D because I got it for $600, which put the price difference around $750.

gaul wrote:
The 20D price is going down everywhere... or should go ... with the 5D now entering the market.

I guess the 20D won't be worth a lot in 12-18 months when every dSLR will feature a full-size sensor as the 5D does.

Whichever solution you choose, do not spend too much as dSLR are not (yet or more?) a sound investment.

First, dSLRs are still not a mature product. If you buy the 350D (Rebel XT) or 20D from Canon, what will be worth your "investment" in2-3 years? Canon just launchedthe 5D (full-size sensor) that will quickly be the norm in dSLRs? Nobody will want a 350D or 20D in 2-3 years.In Europe, Canon is offering cash-back on the 20D. If you go with a 350D, you don't waste too much money away.

The 5D is NOT a replacement for the 20D. Crop factor cameras are here to stay for a while, but more and more full frame camera's will come along. For now, I'd go with the 20D if I were you...it's more versatile if only by a bit that the other two. A digital camera is a computer with a lens, so you should buy the best one you can afford right now and then be comfortable knowing that although a "newer, better" camera will come out next month, you already have a good one.

If your camera takes good pictures now, do you think it's going to take any worse pictures 2 years from now...I think not!

Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

gaul wrote:
Quote:
20D price is going down everywhere... or should go ... with the 5D now entering the market.

you have to be kidding right? you think that in one-year all dslrs will feature full size sensors... my guess is in one-year the full frame sensors you will see will be the 5d and 1dsmkii.. same as now..

the 20d will be replaced with a 40d or 50d and it will have a 1.6x crop factor.. canon will not abandon/nor will any other companies the aps-sized sensor

the truth is there are advantages to both full frame and cropped camera's and it all depends on what you shoot... for example, i shoot wildlife and other subjects where more telephoto is great.. aps-sensor is a big advantage here... but a dedicated portrait or landscape person who uses wide to normal lenses most of the time will enjoy having his normals be normals and such with a full frame sensor..

so, in essence, the 20d is a very viable camera and it and its kin will continue to be in the future... as will the 5d..

(my dream combo is my 20d with a long tele over one shoulder and a 5d with a nice wide-angle over the other!) *note dream here.. haha

---------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6

is there a chance that Nikon will release a camera in the next few months that will compete a little more with the 20D, im not familiar with when they usualy releases new products. I would hate to purchase the D70, only to find out that the D90 came out a few weeks later.

If not, I guess my question is, what extra will the 20D allow me to do that the Nikon wont? The big differences seem to be the 2 extra megapixles and a faster speed, but is there something important I am overlooking?

Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:49 AM   #7

There has been alot of talk and speculation about Nikon releasing the D200, the replacement for the D100. Nothing has been confirmed as of yet.The D70s is less than a year old (it was a slight upgrade from the D70), and I would expect it to have at least another year of shelf life lest. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the next new thing. There will always be something new on the horizon, especially in the DSLR industry. Likely whatever you buy, whether its the D70s or 20D, will be replaced by something within the next 2 years. Both camera's will still be able to serve you well even 10 years down the road. Considering your skill level and familiarity with Nikon,I would get the D70. Not that there's anything wrong with the 20d (it is definetly the better of the 2 cameras).The main difference between the 2 would be build quality..the 20d being the better of the 2. I would probably spend the extra money on some good glass, as that's where the rubber really meets the road. Camera bodies are (and kinda always have been) disposable.The lenses are the real investment. That being said, you should also consider the Rebel XT, as it has a similiar feature set as the d70s or even the Nikon D50. As your skill level/interest/need advances, then you could consider moving up. Or you might find your currrent camera is all you need. A good photographer can make great images with any camera. A more expensive camera does not automatically get you great images. In fact it may make things more difficult, as the user is presented with many more options, making the learning curve steeper.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:21 PM   #8

Thanks guys for all the info. Im still debating because I want to start doing work the School paper along with all the other things going on such as sports games, school formals, and other campus related things. Im just afraid of settling with the D70 and then needing the extra capabilites of the 20D soon after. The only other question I have is if I were to go with the 20D what would be a decent lens to start out with for everyday photography somewhere in the price range of 300-400? Is this enough for a good lens from either Sigma or Canon? I think figuring up the total price of a canon + lens would help to see the price difference in it and the D70 kit.