Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

Hi there!

I'm looking for myfirstdigital camera :-)

After reading lots of reviews I've ended up stuck between the highly rated Canon SD500 & Casio Z750. I'm not looking to print larger then 8x10, probably most of the pictures will be 4x6 & 7x5. I've tried to find other ultra compacts with smaller MP but each seem to have short comings, no viewfinder, poor battery life so I find myself back at the above models.

With 7MP is this going to be a waste of equipment& money for me? Or is the image quality of these worth it? Like I've said I am a newbie so the camera will be intially a P&S but would like something to grow with!

Any advice would be great,

Thanks
napashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:39 PM   #2

As one man's highly-prejudiced opinion, I bought the SD200 because I couldn't imagine more than 3.2 MPixels making any sense on an ultracompact. I have not felt that I needed more pixels for this camera than that. But I just use it as a snapshot camera -- its great virtue is that you can take it with you without feeling like you're lugging a camera around. When I want to "express myself" photographically, I use a different camera. The SD200 takes great snapshots, and I'm sure that a "real" photographer could take better pictures with it than I can with my ultrazoom, but I tend to think of it as a pocket camera for snapshots.

If that's the way you look at yours, you could opt for any of the lower-pixel-count members of the SD family and get virtually the same camera except with fewer pixels (if I'm not mistaken, one or two of the newer family members have MPEG-4 instead of MJPEG for their video, so that may make a differnce to you one way or the other, too). Whether the difference in price is worth it to you obviously only you can say. But I wouldn't expect any noticeable improvement in images at 7 mp than 3 or 4 with this class of camera, especially given the casual way it tends to be used.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Many thanks for your reply. I've read a couple of the reviews for the SD200 andall sounds good promising. I'm not sure what model the SD200 is in the UK but I'll definitely search around the net.

Thanks again
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:28 PM   #4

Many thanks for your reply. I've read a couple of the reviews for the SD200 andall sounds good promising. I'm not sure what model the SD200 is in the UK but I'll definitely search around the net.

Thanks again