Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:55 PM   #1

SO the high ISO will be good for low light situations, but for long TELE shots, which do you think will be more effective, the Image Stabilization or the the HIGH ISO.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

Image stabilization allows you to take longer exposures handheld than you would otherwise be able, but if your subject is moving, you will need the shorter shutter speed which hi ISO provides. So the answer, as with so many things is that "It depends." In some cases you may very well end up needing both.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3

Also, don't overlook the question of max f-stop. If the camera has faster ISO but requires a small f-stop at long zooms, you're going to be burning some of the faster speed to compensate for the lower light from that. BTW, to calculate the difference for two max apertures, do the following: (f1/f2)^2 will show how much darker the f1 lens is than the f2 lens. For example, if you have two cameras, one withf-max at max zoom of 3.7 and another with f-max at the same zoomof 2.8, you get the following: 3.7/2.8 give approx 1.32. Squaring the result gives approx 1.75. Expressed as a percentage, the 3.7 lens is 75% darker than the 2.8 lens, so you'd need a 75% increase in ISO rating to compensate for the darker lens. If the 2.8 maxed out at 400, the 3.7 would need a max of 700 ISO, just to account for the difference in lens brightness. FWIW

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4

@#%*&()#@!!

I think I have been reading too many reviews. Every camera seems great, then has some bad things you read on the forums. I think I have been looking for a camera that has no bad points, which isnt going to happen. I love my SD300, but want a long zoom with focused results so I think Ill take the plunge on the CanonS2. Im sure the pics will be fine by my standards. Hopefully the focus isnt as wiggly at long zoom as the forums make it out to be. Every thing else seems to fit the bill.

The Fuji seems nice, but I think the IS will help me more than the high ISO as I wont be shooting much high speed action. Maybe ill get the Fuji F10 to replace the SD300 so I can have the best of both worlds.

BTW:" Nice explantion of the fstop/ISO. Thanks
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote