Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

I have been researching like crazy. The camera is required for a friend of mine who need to buy it within a short time.

The camera which is needed is essentially a point and shoot, with minimum 3-5 MP. Good pictures and fast operation. Unlimited 620*480*30fps, movie mode. The rpice should be in the range of $150-$200. Good noise characteristics and good low light performance won't hurt too.

I touched upon some cameras like Canon-A510, Sony S-40 etc but the field seems to be endless.

Kindly pass on the benefit of your experiences and suggest a good buy.

Thanks in Advance.

wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:36 AM   #2

I'm using Kodak V550, video quality is not bad, but most of the time I record using 320*240, max res. 640*480 (30fps), but for high res you need high speed SD card. Low light environment also not too bad.
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3

Nobody loves me.

Hey, don't anyone have a good suggession for the price range$150-$200.:?Come on! Out with it guys!:G
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:00 PM   #4

Well I am as new as can be to the whole hybrid idea, but I just ordered the new Aiptek MPVR at http://www.aiptek.com

It has a pre-sale price of $150 right now, but who knows what vendors will have it for once its released. But it seems to have the features you are looking for, including the low light. I actually just called Aiptek before I made my order, and they say that these will be shipping either tomorrow or the next day! They charged me 6.77 for UPS Ground shipping. If you still want to wait, I will be writing a review of the camera in the Hybrid Forum when I recieve it.
Greygooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:11 AM   #5

If you can live without the unlimited 30 fps movie mode, you might be interested in this 4MP camera:

I just bought a Fuji A340 "cradle bundle" from Radio Shack for $134.95 that includes a charger and rechargable NiMh battery set. I bought it as a backup camera in case my other camera stopped working. This is a close-out item that will be out of stock soon. I had to check 3 local Radio Shack stores before I found it in stock (ITEM # 1603829). See the review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...fuji_a340.html

This is a bargain for 4 mp considering you get the charger and docking base, along with video cable and usb cables. The only thing you need to buy is a larger xD card to fit more pictures than the 16MB card holds. Ittakes excellentpictures - same as what you see in the review, and is fast. Movie mode is only 10 FPS / 30 sec 320 x 240 max without sound.
joe9999b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks guys for your helpful replies.

I think I will go with Sony-DSC S40, it almost fits the bill. Moreover it has widish lens (32-90 mm). It is $155-$180.

Thanks all the same.