Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:20 PM   #11
Administrator

P.S. -- just because I've got some strong opinions, doesn't mean that you have to agree with them. LOL

There are pros and cons to any of these cameras, and the D70s has some advantages (for example, a faster flash sync speed, and what I think is a better flash system via the SB800).

It's a good camera. But, it doesn't have some of the advantages of the 7D that I'd consider if I were you (antishake being a big one).

Chances are, any opinion you see in a forum is going to be biased, including mine. So, take them with a grain of salt and make up your own mind about what camera is best for you.

Try them out in a store, in person before making your choice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:29 PM   #12

Downside of getting a Minolta, is if you ever decide to upgrade to a better camera, you may find yourself upgrading to a Canon or Nikon, left with an expensive investment in Minolta lenses.

I think Canon and Nikon will announce more new models than the other manufacturers.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a digital body on the reputation of the maker's lenses.

In actual fact, I think Tamron and Sigma make better lenses (for the money) than Nikon, Canon or Minolta, with just a few exceptions.

For instance, unless your a pro with a big budget, one could hardly justify buying $1,000+ Canon "L" lenses. Yet Tamron and Sigma are a far better cost justified investment than the cheaper Canon lenses.

At your price range, a Minolta 7D or a Rebel XT with third party lenses is probably the best cost justified bet . The Nikons have lousy viewfinders, however they have 1/500th flash synchronizatoin as their claim to fame (good for fill flash on action shots).

Personally I'd recommend a Rebel XT with a Tamron 28-75 XR DI as a real sweet starting number. To me, the Minolta is close to a dead end investment.

As for buying online, I recommend B&H photo video, a class act. Their prices are very close to the lowest prices.

You can find lower priced online dealers, but they tend to try to upsell you, give you a big story about grey market, and generally make the sale a horrible experience. All to save a few dollars. And don't even think about returning items to these ripoff merchants. They will talk about restocking fees, etc. etc. etc.

I buy practically everything from B&H these days, as do many others.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:41 PM   #13
Administrator

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Downside of getting a Minolta, is if you ever decide to upgrade to a better camera, you may find yourself upgrading to a Canon or Nikon, left with an expensive investment in Minolta lenses.
I could sell the Minolta lenses I've already bought in the past couple of months for more than I paid for them now.

Given Sony's partnership with Konica-Minolta I'd see prices getting higher versus lower in the future as more cameras using this lens mount are introduced. In addition to KM, you'll see Sony DSLR models using this lens mount next year.

We're already seeing this happen since the 5D was introduced, with forum threads elsewhere complaining that vendors don't seem to have the lenses they're looking for anymore in used condition (even though prior to the 5D release, the used market was terrific for them). It's called supply and demand and KM is producing 50,000 cameras per month of theirnew 5D.

Quote:
I think Canon and Nikon will announce more new models than the other manufacturers.
Who cares? :-) Do you want the manufacturer with the most cameras, or the best cameras? And what's best for a user's needs, will vary by individual, just like no one vehicle is perfect for any given user and conditions.

Quote:
Personally I'd recommend a Rebel XT with a Tamron 28-75 XR DI as a real sweet starting number.
Compared to a 7D? Try one out in a store to see what you think of the viewfinder, control layout, build quality, etc., compared to a 7D -- keeping in mind how "menu centric" a camera can be without the 7D controls.

Quote:
To me, the Minolta is close to a dead end investment.
OK. Think that.

Do you really think KM is going to be standing still, especially with their new partnership with Sony. PMA 2006 may be very interesting (if we don't see some product releasesbefore then). KM has already confirmed they are working on more DSLR models ;-)

Quote:
As for buying online, I recommend B&H photo video, a class act. Their prices are very close to the lowest prices.
I'll agree with that, wholeheartedly.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:18 PM   #14

oy oy it's getting hot ;-)

About Canon- I don't really feel it, I cannot explain it. I used 20D few times, rented one and if I had this money I would buy it but Rebel XT NO, "too plastic, too small" I just don't feel it. I know it is a great camera but no again.

About the stores then, as I expect this kind of offer I should avoid:
[ I deleted link the link which was here]

I sent them two e-mails with some quewstions and never got any response.

woyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:24 PM   #15
Administrator

I'd heed the advise in my previous post. See the customer reviews for these guys at http://www.resellerratings.com(look at the ratings, then scroll down and start reading the reviews). Here is the link to this vendor there:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html

Again, if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:26 PM   #16

oops. I missed that part somehow. Thanks again.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:32 PM   #17
Administrator

I'd also check out the article written by Bryan Biggers (you'll see a link to it in my earlier post in this thread discussing vendors). You'll recognize these same tactics when you start reading through customer reviews for some of these guys at http://www.resellerratings.com

Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:03 PM   #18
Administrator

woyteg wrote:
Quote:
The flash I have right now is pretty used and old (5200) so I would have to go for HS5400 (or Sigma one).
No. The Minolta 5400HS won't work with it (and that goes for most 3rd party flash systems that have dedicated flash systems for Minolta, too).

You'll want the Konica-Minolta 2500 (D), 3600HS (D), or 5600HS (D) if you go with a KM 7D and want a dedicated external flash. These are the only Minolta flashes that will work with it.

The Metz 54MZ4 using the latest SCA3302M5 adapter for Minolta will also work (and it supports both wireless and high speed sync with the 7D). The older SCA3302 adapters are not compatible (you need the latest M5 version of this adapter). But, Metz will upgrade an older SCA3302 if you have one.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:11 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
5600HS (D)
That's what I meant, I typo, sorry and thanks again.
Still not decided. I will give myself a break and start reading some lens reviews. I want to find out about new Tamron 18-200 vs. e.g. Nikons 17-80 + 50-200. If I go for KM I'm thinking about that Tamron too.

Any thoughts about that?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:20 PM   #20
Administrator

Well, several of the lenses KM is introducing appear to be manufactured in partnership withTamron. Some of these lenses offer a lot of "bang for the buck" (probably because Tamron can lower production and R&D costs by offering the same lens design in multiple camera mounts).

For example, the Konica-Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 (D) appears to be the same lens optically as theTamron 28-75 XR DI that Terry mentioned in his previous post. But, I have seen reports that it may be usingKonica-Minolta specific lens coatings and electronics better optimized for the camera.

Users of this lens really like it (and it's often available for a bit less under the Konica-Minolta brand name, too).

Ditto for the new Konica-Minolta DT Series lenses, including the new 18-200mm. They appear to be optically identical to the Tamron branded lenses with some cosmetic changes. See the press release about them here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/km...lenses_pr.html

I haven'tread any user reports for the 18-200mm yet on a 7D. But, I do seem to remember seeing one a day or two ago elsewhere from an overseas 7D owner. If I can find it, I'll let you know.