Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:14 PM   #1

Hi there/here.

I'm new here and full of hope that I will find the answers I'm looking for over here.

For years I was shooting with Minolta and I got to the point when I know I need digital SLR. Making long post short I came down to 2 camera. Nikon d70s and Minolta D7. Which one would you buy for yourself and why?
Photojournalism is my passion however for money I do children's photography, parties (no weddings), some publicity. I have few Minolta lenses but honestly I don't mind switching to Nikon. I'm desperate, everyday I change my mind and I would love to be sure that I chose the one I wanted. HELP!
woyteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:34 PM   #2

Ha ha I'd buy neither, I'd look at a Canon Rebel XT or a Canon 20D.

Why? Canon has the best image quality.

The Nikon D70S is a nice camera, although I find the viewfinder dark and tunnel like.

The Minolta D7, in my opinion, has the worst of the image quality in comparison to the Nikon or the Canons.

Minolta has the nice feature of built in stabilization, plus you could re-use some of your lenses, so you could save a few bucks there.

Perhaps some day you will upgrade to another digital camera?Canon hasand probably will continue to have the best selection of DSLR's.

You could re-use your Canon or third party Canon compatible lenses (hopefully).

Other people will completely disagree with my post, so be prepared for heated replies!

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:42 PM   #3
Administrator

Well, they both (Nikon D70s, KM 7D) use a Sony 6MP CCD. But,there are some differences between these cameras.

I'd personally lean towards the 7D between these two models (especially since you'd have the advantage of antishake with all of your lenses (including bright primes), not to mention the better control layout and viewfinder.

But, the Nikon has it's advantages, too.

I actually own some Nikon gear and lenses. But, I plan on getting KM DSLR soon myself (and I've already started buying Minolta lensesfor this purpose).

I've bought the Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 and 35-105mm f/2.8so far in Minolta AF mount.

I'd make sure to read the reviews (paying particular attention to the review conclusion sections), then go down to a camera store and hold and compare them for yourself.

I'm leaning towards the 5D for my use (even though the 7D has a larger buffer, better viewfinder and more). They're evenclose tothesame price after the new rebate (especially since I'd want to buy a hotshoe adapter touse a PC cord attachedflash). You should see the 5Dreview published here soon (it's in progress now). I want something smaller and lighter,that attracts less attention when bringing a camera with me to restaurants, clubs, etc. in the area, and I can't think of a better solution than a KM 5D with ISO speed up to 3200, a bright prime, and antishake.

BTW, if you're not aware of it already, KM has a $200 mail in rebate on the 7D right now (in the US.), and the price as dropped some lately, too.

When first introduced, this was the most expensive camera in this market niche (costing even more than the Canon EOS-20D).

P.S.

If you haven't kept up with Mike Johnston's Weekly Sunday Morning Photographer, make sure to read his July 3rd Catch the Rave!

I'd also make sure to read his A Tale Told By Two Pictures from July 10th.

Mike has been pretty enthusiastic about his7D and it's reflected in his writing. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:42 AM   #4

Thank you two for your opinion...ech...still no clue what to do. I think there is this feeling, maybe stupid, implemented in my head saying "minolta does not make good digital cameras, nikon and canon went ahead".
It is sad because as long as I remember I was always Minolta person.

Well, waitting for more opinions. ;-) Which one: KM 7D, N D70s, C 20D ?

Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Administrator

woyteg wrote:
Quote:
Thank you two for your opinion...ech...still no clue what to do. I think there is this feeling, maybe stupid, implemented in my head saying "minolta does not make good digital cameras, nikon and canon went ahead".
It is sad because as long as I remember I was always Minolta person.

Well, waitting for more opinions. ;-) Which one: KM 7D, N D70s, C 20D ?

Well, to be frank, Konica-Minolta had some QC problems with it. A large number of users have reported a backfocus problem (usually using a brighter lens at larger apertures), and needed to send their cameras back to KM for calibration. But, I've seen users of other models report the same thing (including Canon and Nikon DSLR models).

I can remember seeing a fairly long thread on another forum about the same kind of problem with the new Rebel XT when it was first introduced. Ditto for Nikon D2X owners (and you'll see posts from users of other models, too).

These kinds of QC issues have been going on for years. KM is just "new to the party" for DSLR models.

In the case of the KM Maxxum 7D, there are 3 hex screws under a piece of rubber at the bottom of the camera that control the AF sensor alignment. So, this makes it much easier to calibrate compared to most models.

Some 7D owners have fixed it themselves (reporting that all it took was turning all 3 screws 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise to correct it). The "sticky" stuff on the rubber is apparently good enough to hold just fine after removing it for this adjustment.

A popular way to check for it is setting up several DVD covers arranged in a pattern a different distances to the camera. Then, focus on the one in the middle using a tripod and fast lens at it's largest aperture setting (50mm f/1.7, 50mm f/1.4), since Depth of Field will be very shallow at larger apertures (smaller f/stop numbers).

If the covers behind it are sharp with your target not, you've probablygot a backfocus issue.

KM uses the 50mm f/1.7 for AF alignment.

Users doing it said it only took about 15 minutes to calibrate them accurately.

Users that sent their cameras back to KM for calibration have reported very fast turnaround time here in the U.S. (usually around a week).

The other problem reported is flash exposure with the 5600HS (D) and 3600HS (D) (more 5600 owners). This requires sending the flash unit back to KM for updates if you get one with a problem (reports are mixed).

These issues are so simple to fix, that I personally wouldn't let itdeter me from buying one. Most 7D owners seem to reallylove this camera (and I knowusers that have used DSLR models from other brands beforebuying their 7D). I even know some owners of both the KM 7D and Canon EOS-20D. The EOS-20D has a faster frame rate for sports that makes it appealing to some owners that like to shoot tennis, etc.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Thank you Jim again,
It looks like you're real KM person. Honestly I don't really want to go for C20D because I don't really want/have extra $500-$600 to spend.

What is your opinion about the Nikon vs. Minolta lenses? I think that general opinion is that Nikon has the best lenses. The lens I use the most often with my Maxxum 7 is Tamron 28-200. This is the range I work on most of the time. Sometimes 50mm indoors because of f.=1.7.
I also want to buy very wide angle one in the close future. (around 10mm for digital)

My last plan was to buy N D70s Kit with 17-70 lens plus Nikon 28-200 plus flash SB600. That I was thinking would be a good start with Nikon and good enough for what I'm doing. Now I'm thinking maybe the better choice would be to go for KM7D plus Tamron 18-200. The flash I have right now is pretty used and old (5200) so I would have to go for HS5400 (or Sigma one).

What do you think? Any Nikon person to convince me?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

The other thing about KM that's interesting is their new partership with Sony.

Sony will be releasing DSLR models next year that use the MinoltaMaxxum/Dynaxlens mount.

Sony makes the sensors used in a lot of digital cameras, including many models made by Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Konica-Minolta,Nikon and others.

Canon uses their own sensors in their DSLR models (but Canondoesn't make the sensors used in their non-DSLR models, with a number of the models they produce using Sony sensors).

The DSLR models in this price niche fromNikon, KMand Pentax are using a Sony 6MP CCD.

See the press release about this new partnership here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr

So, I'm curious if this new arrangment may give KM an advantage in the future compared to other manufacturers using Sony sensors, too (future models may get interesting).

Lenses may get pretty hard to come by at decent prices on the used market in the future (with KM producing 50,000 of the new 5D per month, based on their initial reports of production,, and Sony planning on using this lens mount in DSLR models, too). :-)

Prices on used Minolta lenses are already starting to go up (with stock of popular Minolta lenses in short supply at vendors that sell them in used condition) since the 5D began shipping.

That's one reason I started buying Minolta AF lenses before the 5D even started shipping, and before deciding between these two bodies. I wanted to get mine at decent prices *before* the feeding frenzy started. :idea:

Again, it's not uncommon for a manufacturer to have some QC problems. For example, anumber of D70 owners have had cameras with what's come to be known as BGLOD (a.k.a., Blinking Green Light of Death) on the forums. Nikon finally "owned up" to it, and issued a service advisory about last week (even though it's been happening for a long time). Newer D70 and D70s models don't appear to be impacted.

They also seem to have been burying their head in the sand about D2H meters breaking (based on responses I've seen owners report from Nikonthat they were unaware of any issue with them when repairing them). Yea, right. LOL

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#nikon_adv

You see similar recalls from other manufacturers about problems, too. I consider the QC issues with the KM 7D to be very minor, and none of the manufacturers are without blemish in the QC area.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:37 PM   #8

WOW, you're fast! I feel like my blackberry is beeping now all the time because of your new post here :-)

Thanks again. I'm leaning towards KM7D and some wide angle lens. Another Q, I hope it is appropriate in here, since you guys have some partnerships with some on-line stores but; I found some on-line stores offering bodies for 200-300 less than the average market price. Why is it so? Is it safe to buy from then?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Administrator

woyteg wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Jim again,
It looks like you're real KM person.

Actually, no. I've always been a Nikon fan where SLR type equipment is concerned, although I do use a Konica Revio KD-510z digicam (a pocketable camera that goes with me everywhere). This one was released before the merger with Konica and Minolta was completed (so, it was designed by Konica engineers). I've also owned some Nikon Digicam Models (Coolpix 950, 990, and I still have the Nikon Coolpi 950).

To be frank, I wouldn't personally buy a Nikon DSLR (even if I liked it). But, that's just something I've decided based on principle alone. Nikon started encrypting metadata related to White Balance in raw files generated by someof their newer models (D2Hs, D50, D2X), and I just don't like this practice.

Most users probably wouldn't care, and Nikon just reached an agreement with Adobe so that they can fully support these models via a new SDK (Software Developers Kit). Adobe had originally refused to support the encrypted white balance information because of concerns over violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), until Nikon "caved in" to public pressure and included a way to read it within an SDK, while still allowing developers to use proprietary demosaic algorithms for converting the data from the sensor.

But, from my perspective, the issue isn't Adobe's support of these models. What if some bright young kid comes up with a vastly superior algorithm to convert the raw data, and Nikon won't give them the SDK (which doesn't support many operating systems anyway).

Sorry, I just don't want to buy a camera from a manufacturer encrypting any portion of the image files generated by their cameras. The D70s does not encrypt, but what about it's future replacement, since the new D50, D2X and D2Hs modelsdo encryupt metadata related to White Balance intheir raw files)? What's next (more data encrypted, hardware keys to read the images using "approved" software, etc.)?

Nope, not me. I won't be buying any more Nikon gear unless they reverse this practice of encrypting anything.

I think the only purpose encryptionserves is to stifle competition for software used for converting raw files, and I'm not personally going to buy a camera froma manufactuer that uses this tactic.

If Nikon thinks that their optional "Nikon Capture" software for converting files is better, fine. Let it stand on it's own merits. Don't try to keep other developers from introducing products that compete with it by encrypting some of the data in the image files.

That's just my two cents worth, and I'm sure many other users wouldn't care about it.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:04 PM   #10
Administrator

woyteg wrote:
Quote:
Another Q, I hope it is appropriate in here, since you guys have some partnerships with some on-line stores but; I found some on-line stores offering bodies for 200-300 less than the average market price. Why is it so? Is it safe to buy from then?
It's not really a partnership with the online stores. It's a partnership with the price search engine supplier.

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is!

There are a number of scam artists with *very* nice looking web sites, with lots of important looking logos.

Check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com (and I'd avoid any vendors with a small number of customer reviews, too, since vendors have been caught trying to pad their own ratings). Read the customer reviews, checking for any kind of a pattern. If they're not listed, I'd avoid them (these guys often startup new web sites under a different name).

You can't buy a camera for the low prices advertised without a catch. The profit margin is just too thin.

A popular technique is to call you to "verify" your order. Then, the sales pitch begins (trying to sell you dramtically overpriced items to go with the great camera price). If your refuse to buy the extras, your camera may never ship (or a partial order may ship, or you may get a camera not intended for sale in the country you're in that a manufacturer may refuse to service, even if you are willing to pay them for the serivce).

Most of the "scam artist" have a Brooklyn address in their about or policies section. For some reason, they seem to be able to get away with it there. If I lived in Brooklyn, I think I'd be voting some politicians out of office (since I've been seeing customers of these vendors say they've been reporting them to the authorities for a long time).

Here is a good article to read by Bryan Biggers that explains the tactics some vendors use:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed